Thread: Keyword help I Think?

Keyword help I Think?

Difficult to explain but my site http://www.guitarandsong.com is listed in google on the first page if I search in the google bar for 'guitar and song'.

Firstly is there a way to check where my site is ranked on google if I search for 'guitar tabs' or 'guitar songs' or guitar music etc...ie what page is it on or do I have to look through them all to find it.

Also how do i improve this for these search descriptions is this all down to key words and if so why if I search for 'guitar and song' is that different from 'guitar song'

Hope this makes sense.

"guitar and song" is different from "guitar song" for obvious reasons, though, they're close.

You can do some keyword trickery. Combine three keywords into two key phrases.

Suppose you wanted to optimize for "red widget" and "widget power"

You could use "Red widget power" getting both.

As for tracking your rankings, you can do it somewhat in Google Webmaster Central, somewhat in Google Analytics, or use a tool like this:

http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/keywords/
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    "guitar and song" is different from "guitar song" for obvious reasons, though, they're close.

You can do some keyword trickery. Combine three keywords into two key phrases.

Suppose you wanted to optimize for "red widget" and "widget power"

You could use "Red widget power" getting both.

As for tracking your rankings, you can do it somewhat in Google Webmaster Central, somewhat in Google Analytics, or use a tool like this:

http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/keywords/
    Thanks Chris

But what would I need to do to boost say guitar song, or learn guitar more than guitar and song. Is it a case of getting these words in that order into my content but within relevant passages of texts?

Also is guitar and song ranking higher because that is in my URL? (hope this makes sense still learning with the help of you guys)

Getting your key phrases in context is a good starting point. But instead of thinking in the broad definition I would think long tail. What is long tail? Well instead of "guitar", "learn guitar" steps a bit outside of the norm. "Learn acoustic guitar" is even more specific. "Learn led zeppelin on acoustic guitar" drills down even more. Just examples, but you get where I'm going.

I would try 'learn guitar' as your main keywords, on your main page. Expand your keywords for additional pages and be specific to those pages, while loosely including your main keywords.

Here's a search example (on Google, with my preferences set):

learn guitar - 38,500,000 results
    learn acoustic guitar - 23,700,000 results
    learn to play acoustic guitar - 15,000,000 results

See how when you expand your terms the results narrow? 15 mil is still alot of results to compete with, but it's better than 38 mil. Not saying you can't compete with general terms and GOOD content, but the more you specify your terms the better chances you have.

Forget "lyrics" if you want to be a guitar chord site. Not saying dont include lyrics, but don't focus on lyrics. You're just diluting your keywords while trying to focus on guitar chords.
    Shawn Kerr .com

I think you should check this with Google wonder wheel or adwords keyword suggestion, and I doubt if you could get first rank then you will get huge traffic. it not just base on that subject.I think it wise from now to think that first page is not equal to huge traffic volume