Thread: Joomla 1.0

Junior Registered

Joomla 1.0

Hi, new to the forum. I'm not tech savvy at all but here's my problem. I had a website developed for me that was done on Joomla ver 1.0 The site has around 20 pages. After a falling out with the developer, I was given the file in zip form and have come to find out that Joomla ver 1.0 is all but obsolete and there's a newer Joomla ver 1.5. I only had one person look at this for me, and apparently it's not easy to transfer ver 1.0 over to ver 1.5 or so I'm told. Again not knowing that much on the tech side of things, is that accurate? What are my options and the best way to move forward on this. Does all the code have to be entered in manually (as I've also been told)? That sounds to me like it can become quite costly. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks,

Dave

Registered
    Site Administrators - Simplicity & Control
    The Joomla! 1.5 Administrator is more refined and the main menu simplified.The global configuration was substantially reworked for simpler presentation and greater control. joomlacode.org for all languages...
    The drawback with setting up a new site on version 1.0 is that migrating to 1.5 later will be painful, while the drawback with setting up a site on 1.5 is that releases due to undiscovered security problems are more frequent so it involves slightly more maintenance. Also, not all extensions are available for 1.5 yet. It is possible to use extensions from 1.0 with 1.5 via the legacy plug in, but the word on the streets seemed to be that this should be avoided if at all possible. I was able to find extensions which worked natively with 1.5 for all the functionality I required.

There was a security issue with 1.5.5 which caused some sites to get hacked, and led to a rapid release of 1.5.6. 1.0 is better than the new release i feel ....why to switch for newer versions..