Thread: Link Exchange

Link Exchange

Looking for some info on link exchange. Is this one safe, would it do any harm to submit to it or should I avoid thanks http://www.linkmarket.net/

Read into link exchange and think it sould be OK but how can you tell good ones from bad.

Don't do link exchanges.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

As a general rule, if a junk site links to you, Google will not penalize you, because you have no control over it. By "junk" site I mean banner farms with no content to speak of, just a bunch of links. If Google did penalize you for that, then it woudl be unfair because it would mean that your competitors could just get your site listed on those sites, just to get you penalized by Google.

But if you link to a banner farm, or a junk site, Google may actually penalize you, because it may assume that you are engaging in link exchanges to artificially boost your PR.

Also, getting a link to your site from a page that has a bunch of outgoing links will not boost your PR significantly, anyway.

Chris says, don't do link exchanges. I am not sure if he means not to do any link exchanges at all, or if there may be exceptions. I guess if there was a #1 guitar site that wanted to link to you, form one of their high traffic pages, you would actually benefit form that link, because so many people would see it. But you would gain absolutely nothing by engaging in link exchanges with link farms.

Generally you gain no benefit from a mutual link exchange. The two links cancel each other out, a link from a generic "links" page is less than valuable anyways, and Google specifically detects and devalues straight exchanges.

The only kind of value is going to be a specific in-content link exchange. Like a link within an article or blog post that is on topic, then you link back to the person from another article or blog post (or even site) different from the one they're linking to but on-topic for them.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

that why article marketing is better then link exchange it point to one direction , and over time Google now consider 3 way link like this will scramble their listing priority scheme