Thread: bounce rate?

Junior Registered

bounce rate?

I am working on a client's website which ranks good for most of the keywords. It also has decent PR of 3 .However lately the visitors have dropped to nearly half and the bounce rate is 68%...What can be wrong? What should i do to reduce the bounce rate?Pls help.

To improve the bounce rate you need more compelling and deeper content and an easier to navigate site.

On the flip side of that coin, if the first page view really does answer the person's question, you're doing good, from a usability standpoint, but your bounce rate will be higher. So it is a double edged sword.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    ...On the flip side of that coin, if the first page view really does answer the person's question, you're doing good, from a usability standpoint, but your bounce rate will be higher. So it is a double edged sword.
    Hm, that's a really good point. I never thought of it that way.

I had some afterthoughts regarding the bounce rate issue and Chris' comment.

I guess looking at the bounce rate alone is not an accurate indicator of how the site is performing. But looking at the bounce rate combined with average time spent on site is a much better indicator. So, if the bounce rate is 70% and the average time spent on site is 3 seconds, then the site is performing poorly. But if the average time spent on site is 10 minutes, and the bounce rate is also 70%, then the site is performing phenomenally.

Now comes the other question.

What is a good average time spent on site? Would it be the time the average time it would take to read one page of text on that site?

Well, I don't know what's wrong, but I would suggest you to persuade your client that they have to pay for advertising. The quality visitors are essential for the success of any website business.