Thread: Domain names: any influence on SEO?

Registered

Domain names: any influence on SEO?

I have a site currently in development. I'll use the example, an online phone directory.

So, say the following two domain names available (the hyphens are intended, since the actual domains I'm looking will have them).

phone-directory.com
    telephone-directory.com

Say, the keywords phone directory are searched 200 times a day. However, telephone directory is searched double that (400 times a day).

Now obviously, phone directory is much easier to remember than telephone directory. However, I was wondering, should I go with telephone directory just because it is searched more? I know keywords, anchor text, etc. will probably have a greater influence, but, my main question is, do domain names have much influence on SEO?

Yes.

Especially because easier to remember terms usually ARE searched for more often (because people remember them).

So your example would never happen in real life -- I bet if you check wordtracker "phone directory" is more popular.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Registered
    Hmm, actually for my topic, the longer version is searched more according to Wordtracker.

Registered
    Given that you can register domains for less than $10/yr., why not register both and redirect one to the other?

Yeah, I sometimes do that, sometimes I do it just to stop competition.

It's good to block out competition. But for search engine traffic, only one of those domains will count, because you shouldn't risk promoting your site under two different domains. Google will see it as two separate sites with perfectly duplicated content. So pick one and stick with it.

If you're going for search engine traffic and you don't think you'll get many repeat visitors anyway, go for which ever domain is searched for most in google.

If the longer version is searched for the most, doesn't that tell you that the longer version is indeed most easily remembered or most used?

I have a similar situation with a site I'm about to launch and decided to go with the longer or more formal version because the search stats supported it and it is the "correct" term anyway.

Search stats should reflect popularity. Popularity should reflect memorability.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Registered
    Have to agree with Chris's initial post Matt, the term more easily remembered is going to be the more popular in search. Thus, whichever word or phrase is more popular is certainly the better bet. Regarding your comments on keywords, anchor text, etc. your keywords should include something to express some degree of relevance toward the domain name. That keyword or keyword phrase should built into text as well, if not in fact in your title on the index page, if you're building this site from the ground up with optimization in mind.

Registered
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I know the shorter version is probably much easier to remember, but another reason I have been leaning toward the longer version is because the .com of the shorter one I want is already established, so I didn't want to open myself up to any legal issues by registering the .net, if there are any.