Thread: exact website name, different address

Junior Registered

exact website name, different address

I'm posting in this folder as well, maybe someone here has an idea as well as someone viewing the "business/legal" aspect of it.

Hi all,

A few months back I registered a .com. I noticed all the other endings, i.e. .net, .biz etc were empty, but decided there was no need to register more than the .com. Anyways, I was planning on building a website somewhere down the line that has to do with my specific field. I find out a few weeks later, by complete accident, that a very big global company has registered the exact same domain name as mine, but ending in .net.

WTF?

The major company is directly related to my field, absolutely no doubt about it.

The question is, what should I do to protect my website, the idea, et al, from basically being quashed by the giant? Until what point do I have to make my website, claim my "pie", so that the giant company cannot use my idea and claim that, "oh well, he may have registered the name first, but it took him too long to do anything about it, so that's too bad?"

Thanks!

There is no point. Domains are not copyrighted. At most they can be trademarked, but trademarks are weak and usually do not apply to generic words (which I'm guessing you have).

Still, to be safe, put up a placeholder website. A name, a logo "Coming Soon" and call it good.

IF you really want, you can register your web address as a trademark. It'll cost you but that'd give you official recognition.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Junior Registered
    Do you think there's a timeline/deadline, i.e. something like a year after registration where if I don't do something with the site, I basically lose any "first" claim to the use of the name?

By the way, it's not quite a generic name, it's an obvious and well thought out name that's also a pun on the field in question.

I think I may just apply for an intent of use trademark just in case and like you said, put up a placeholder website.

If I remember correctly you have 12 months to register a trademark within the first commercial use of the term.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives