Thread: CMS issues

Junior Registered

CMS issues

Hello,

I am a newbie and hope this is the right place to post. I am the editor of a website and have been asked by my boss about the feasability of a project involving our CMS, which I will outline briefly.

We run a website with our bespoke CMS. He wants to licence the website's content to third parties in other countries. They will use our CMS and take content from our site but will be able to run whatever content on their site they like.

I have never done this before so I was wondering if anyone here had experience of doing this and what sort of issues we may face.

Thanking you in advance.

Registered
    I am sure there is a way to do what you want..

Explain in a bit more detail.

So you want people to be able to log into your cms and chose which content they want to display and then it displays on their own site?
    Wannabebig - Bodybuilding and weightlifting articles
    Wannabebig - Bodybuilding forums
    At Large Nutrition – Your number one choice for nutritional supplements
    Empowering Sounds Hypnosis CDs

Junior Registered
    Cloughie,

We would licence the CMS to a third party and as part of that they would have access to ur content to use as they see fit.

One of the questions is - how do we supply that content, via an iframe for their website or do we both work off the same database - if so are there security issues or could this cause the CMS to crash.

Or is it easier to keep the two CMS apart and for to just send the third party our content.

Also do you know how difficult it would be changing the default language of a CMS from English to something else?

Thanks for your help

Depends on how technical your staff is. I'd avoid serving up all the content from your servers - you simply don't know how much data will be requested and you do not want to impact your own sites.

An easier way is to provide some sort of admin interface that allows them to download the data they want and then host it on their own site.

If you do decide to let them call your site, you shouldn't have security issues unless you do SSL traffic I think - then you might have crossdomain issues. Those can be resolved with proper certificates.

For language, if your product is already localized then it should be no problem - but I'm guessing it's probably not localized