Thread: Google Adsense interest-based advertising

Chronic Entrepreneur

Google Adsense interest-based advertising

I just got the email below and I'm sure that many of you did too. I'm wondering what everyone thinks of it. Great idea to increase ad relevance and revenue or creepy invasion of privacy?

Quote Originally Posted by google
    Hi,

We're writing to let you know about the upcoming launch of interest-based advertising, which will require you to review and make any necessary changes to your site's privacy policies. You'll also see some new options on your Account Settings page.

Interest-based advertising will allow advertisers to show ads based on a user's previous interactions with them, such as visits to advertiser website and also to reach users based on their interests (e.g. "sports enthusiast"). To develop interest categories, we will recognize the types of web pages users visit throughout the Google content network. As an example, if they visit a number of sports pages, we will add them to the "sports enthusiast" interest category. To learn more about your associated account settings, please visit the AdSense Help Center at http://www.google.com/adsense/suppor...py?topic=20310.

As a result of this announcement, your privacy policy will now need to reflect the use of interest-based advertising. Please review the information at https://www.google.com/adsense/suppo...?answer=100557 to ensure that your site's privacy policies are up-to-date, and make any necessary changes by April 8, 2009. Because publisher sites and laws vary across countries, we're unfortunately unable to suggest specific privacy policy language.

For more information about interest-based advertising, you can also visit the Inside AdSense Blog at http://adsense.blogspot.com/2009/03/...-ads-that.html.

We appreciate your participation and look forward to this upcoming enhancement.

Sincerely,

The Google AdSense Team

Heh I was just coming to post this.

My opinion? More money for me.

I've always said, going back to my first review of Google adsense (which I think was the first review of Google adsense posted by anyone on the Internet). That targetting to the content is imperfect when compared to targetting to the user's interests (desires). This is a step in the right direction.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Quahog's Most Wanted Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Why don't you go ahead and post your thoughts here anyway, Chris? (Assuming you haven't done so in detail already, that is.)
    "Far away in cyberspace are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can envision their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead me."
    —Anonymous

I already did, man of few words.

"More money for me, targetting users instead of pages == good."
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

I also got this email couple months ago, I also made Google Dart policies couple months back, so far I am not seeing good or adsense money increase yet, but I think it only problem of my own traffic