Thread: Domain and SEO

Registered

Domain and SEO

Does it matter for SEO when the domain I want is taken and I add one more word to it?
    E.g. I want www.auto-parts.ca which is not available so then I’m looking at www.auto-parts-online.ca
    I’ve done keyword research and “auto parts” is a very popular search but not "auto parts online"

Any ideas?

Quahog's Most Wanted Dan Schulz's Avatar
    What types of auto parts do you plan to sell or talk about on the site? Rather than just adding "online" to the domain, targeting a particular niche (such as Lexus auto parts) could prove to be far more profitable.
    "Far away in cyberspace are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can envision their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead me."
    —Anonymous

Registered
    To start brake pads but will expend in to another lines of auto parts. I will have a domain specific to brake pads but want to incorporate the business as auto parts online inc. or the like

What you incorporate the business as can differ from your domain, that is no big deal, so don't let that decide things for you.

Personally, I can't see a small independent person mastering the "auto parts" keyword and so would like for something more targetted. Ie, brake-pads.ca or whatever.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Registered
    Thanks for the answer Chris. I find your site very helpful.
    Are you currently taking on SEO projects for pay?

I only take a job once or twice a year.

http://www.jalic.com/seo.php

Registered
    Thanks...I will contact you on jalic.com and request a quote

Quahog's Most Wanted Dan Schulz's Avatar
    To be honest, I wouldn't use a domain name for each type of auto part. I'd just put them under the same domain - with the domain name probably being the name of the company (for branding, rather than SEO, purposes). That way, as the business grows, you won't have multiple domains to renew each year or two, or additional hosting fees to pay each month (or quarter), and you wouldn't have to worry about marketing several related Web sites.

That being said, Chris does make a valid point. "Auto Parts" is too strong for many people to target - I wouldn't be surprised if it was hard to rank for even in www.google.ca for that matter and therefore going with separate domains would be preferable.

However, perhaps a compromise could be reached. Using a subdomain for each type of auto part (like spark plugs, brakes, transmissions, mufflers, and so on). Chris, do you think that could work? Or would a subdirectory structure be better suited in such a scenario? (I've been dealing with family issues the past few months, so the Web is arguably the farthest thing from my mind right now.)
    "Far away in cyberspace are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can envision their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead me."
    —Anonymous

Not that blue at all Blue Cat Buxton's Avatar
    Is it not better to have a number of smaller targeted sites that rank well and make some money, than one general site that will never be commetetive and therefore never rank or make sales? (as a starting point).

If there is a possibility to link the smaller sites with a common theme to a parent site for later cross selling to the traffic generated from the smaller then that is the way I would go.

Dan, you suggest sub domains - I have aloways held that a targeted domain name helps considerably for SEO - would a keyword rich subdomain be as beneficial as a keyword rich domain?

Registered
    I'm fairly new at eCommerce and SEO. Base on the articles that I'm reading from Chris I'm going to have more then one site. The main site will be related to the business where I will not put much (or any) SEO effort in to but use it for cross selling later on (as pointed out). As the business grows, I will consider SEO for the main site. I'm starting with brake pads so my first site/domain and SEO effort will be related to that

Thanks for the input

I once bought a motion light fixture from a website called Plumber's Surplus, http://www.plumbersurplus.com/

Did I feel weird buying an electrical component from a business that obviously did not start with electrical? No. This situation is very common in the online world and off. I've sold toys on CBswords.com even.

Brake Pads Plus
    Brake Pads and More
    Discount Brake Pads
    any of these names would be fine, and while you may start with carrying brake pads, it would not prevent you from adding other things.

if someone is searching on google for windshield wipers and sees

http://www.brakepadsplus.ca/product/...ld-wipers.html They aren't going to not click because the domain has brake pads in it.

The important thing is to be successful with at least one product line. If you start with brake pads, use brake pads. When it comes time to add a new product type you can choose to try it two ways, add a new site, or add it to your existing site, or do both. But you'll atleast have the solid foundation of existing success to build on.

Not that you couldn't be successful with a broader domain, but it'll be easier and far more likely with the narrow one.

Registered
    Good input....Thanks

I'm getting an email ready for your input and quote.

I've been reading a lot of your articles