Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does linking to others hurt your rank?

Registered

Does linking to others hurt your rank?

Does ranking to other sites with a lower PR hurt your Google PR or should you link to them anyway if they are a related site? Thanks Chris! I love what you're doing here.
    ________
    free magento themes
    Last edited by callenb; 01-24-2011 at 07:13 AM.

Outgoing links do hurt, yes.

No on a page by page basis though. An outgoing link will do nothing directly bad to the page it is on.

However on a site wide basis it removes PR.

Say you have a page with two links on it, one an internal link within your site, the other to a third party external site.

50% of the PR goes to your page in the same site, 50% goes to the other site.

No take away that external link.

100% of the PR goes to the page on your same site.

On a site wide basis think of PR like water and sites like buckets. Internal links do nothing but move water from one part of the bucket to another. External links take some of your PR and move it to another bucket, the overall water level in your bucket decreases.

The PR of the site you're linking to doesn't matter (unless you're doing a link exchange). If you are doing a link exchange they you'll want to get more water back than what you are giving (or equal amounts anyways). I cover this in my link exchange primer.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

good explanation using water

however, i believe that if you are putting links to good sites on your site then visitors will visit your site because you have good content/link to good sites etc. ie. although pr drops, youll get more visitors

There are many webmaster resource sites etc that i visit occasionally because they link to good sites

Fonzerelli_79,

I have seen all of your webmasterempire, frankly, I really can not stand the design.

I think you need to redo the design, and make each site different...

How many pages is the average user staying on your site? How many clikcs do you get from one of your sites to anotther?

- Mike

Did you mean to post that here?
    Last edited by Mike; 08-23-2003 at 01:21 AM.
    Don't you just love free internet games ?

Originally posted by michael_gersitz
    Fonzerelli_79,

I have seen all of your webmasterempire, frankly, I really can not stand the design.

I think you need to redo the design, and make each site different...

How many pages is the average user staying on your site? How many clikcs do you get from one of your sites to anotther?

- Mike

Mike - i completely agree. The design was done quickly and to be honest it was rushed. My original idea was that with a similar design I could use the same graphics on all sites and sell advertising easier throughout the network.

Looking back it was a terrible decision.

Im currently getting template devil redeisgned by a professional firm. Im gonna revert manual-submit to what it used to be like and im gonna redesign www.webmastertopsites.com as well. If ive got time left, which I dont, all of the rest of the sites will be redisgned as well.

Its quite obvious that a lot of the sites have ben rushed - I work 6 days away from home so whenever I do get the chance to work on mywebsites its quite rushed. Ive got a 5 full days to work on my websites before I go travelling and im hoping to, fingers crossed, get everything done by then.

The www.webmasterempire.com home page might keep a similar design as might some of the other sites I dont have time to update.

Ive got an idea of what I want to do but im open to suggestions

Great, I already see the new template devil look at it looks good.

You can generate some more more money if you take time and optimize each site... Make it Friendly to everyone!

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    So, having a "partner sites" section that gets displayed on all pages on your site will hurt your PR. Would it be better just to have the "partner sites" section on your homepage and nowhere else.

Does linking to external sites that have a higher PR than you still decrease your own PR?

Linking to any site hurts your PR I think. But it's only by a fraction if you link to them on one page, or outnumber the external links.

Don't you mean, "or outnumber the internal links"?

If the link exchange was solely traffic based... just block your links page with a robots.txt file...

Originally posted by KeithMcL
    Don't you mean, "or outnumber the internal links"?
    Actually ignore my post, I think it's totally wrong

Not thinking straight tonight, too tired
    Last edited by Mike; 10-04-2003 at 02:19 PM.

The PR of the page or the site that you're linking to only matters if you're doing a link exchange. If you're not getting a link back then any outgoing link will hurt.

Putting outgoing links on every page of your site is a bad idea, putting outgoing links on your homepage is also bad.

The best way to do it, if you need to link to "partners" is to have a "links page" and even better yet a links page with multiple categories so that you have to drill down before you actually see an actual outgoing link.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Figured as much Chris. Having a categorised links area would be best for PR for your own site, but (imo) it makes it harder to convince people to link to your site if you have it like tat.

I generally don't reciprocate links to people that have this setup. I expect my link to be displayed on all pages on their site too, the same as mine.

Originally posted by Chris
    Putting outgoing links on every page of your site is a bad idea, putting outgoing links on your homepage is also bad.
    Would adding more internal links on the homepage reduce the damage done by the outgoing links?