Thread: Idea... I need your opinions

Lightbulb Idea... I need your opinions

Hi guys:

I came up with one idea and I need to know what other people think about it.
    My idea is not completely original and those who do web design for living probably came across this thing before.

Usage of photos of people is common thing in web design. And there are 3 ways to get those photos:

1) To grab a camera and to make a couple of shoots yourself
    2) To buy some stock photos
    3) To get images from other sites aka steal
    4) To get models involved.

All these methods have their pros and cons. But obviously, number 4 is the best one (in terms of quality) but it is the most expensive one as well
    here I go
    Let us say, that I have an access to the big pool of models (men and women, mostly young)... I have necessary resources... and I have experience...and I also know how to keep expenses my low.
    So, I was thinking to start offering custom photos. Let us say, someone is designing a website for a local computer shop... and he or she wants to have the picture of person holding some piece of computer hardware in a specific position. So, the client will contact us and he will be provided with photos of models to choose one. Then he will give us requirements how he wants these photos to be taken. We take the photos and that's it! Client gets custom original royalty free photo!

Price of these photos smth like $100-200 (which is the price of stock photos) will cover my costs and I'll make some profit as well.

So, what do you guys think about this service and price? Would you use such service yourself? Any ideas and suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Andy

I don't know... I think it'd be too expensive. There are so many stock photos out there that it is pretty easy to find one in a pose you need -- or you pick a new pose.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

I think a lot would depend on how you marketed the idea. As Chris says, there's such a massive selection of stock photo's available now. Just look at the back of any decent design magazine. Everyone's trying to sell you stock photos.

If you offered it at the same price of a stock photo then it may work out. But then you're basically just setting up a photography studio.

And you have to get model release things. I would just use stock images.

I agree with what everyone has said. However, one way to do this, aaandy, is to find a niche market such as clients who want african american, hispanic, physically impaired, etc.

Junior Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by aaandy View Post
    Hi guys:

I came up with one idea and I need to know what other people think about it.
    My idea is not completely original and those who do web design for living probably came across this thing before.

Usage of photos of people is common thing in web design. And there are 3 ways to get those photos:

1) To grab a camera and to make a couple of shoots yourself
    2) To buy some stock photos
    3) To get images from other sites aka steal
    4) To get models involved.

All these methods have their pros and cons. But obviously, number 4 is the best one (in terms of quality) but it is the most expensive one as well
    here I go
    Let us say, that I have an access to the big pool of models (men and women, mostly young)... I have necessary resources... and I have experience...and I also know how to keep expenses my low.
    So, I was thinking to start offering custom photos. Let us say, someone is designing a website for a local computer shop... and he or she wants to have the picture of person holding some piece of computer hardware in a specific position. So, the client will contact us and he will be provided with photos of models to choose one. Then he will give us requirements how he wants these photos to be taken. We take the photos and that's it! Client gets custom original royalty free photo!

Price of these photos smth like $100-200 (which is the price of stock photos) will cover my costs and I'll make some profit as well.

So, what do you guys think about this service and price? Would you use such service yourself? Any ideas and suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Andy
    Andy, it would be interesting to know what you have decided regarding this service. Are you offering it now? We at http://www.featurepics.com if you want to contact us.