Thread: Web Copy - what's advisable?

Question Web Copy - what's advisable?

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum - so HI
    Hopefully I am in the right place and can grab a couple of opinions.

I've just finished my site and I have been sifting through all the cr*p out there on "internet marketing"... and all that the 'supposed' guru's have to say. Now, I'm all for professional design and look etc... I think that builds trust. BUT, on my front page, instead of being 'professional' or 'business-like', I have kept it very informal, just introducing myself and what I do.

Personally, for ME, if I came across someone's site like that, it would build trust and credibility. But not everyone is the same - so I would really be interested in others' views on this... Do you prefer to see a 'faceless' business where it's all "professionally" written.. or do you like the casual (albeit, STILL professional - just in a 'less formal' way) personal approach?

Really appreciate opinions...

Thanks
    Deb
    "Deb's How To... In The Online World"
    - E-book: How To Set Up A Website Free

They each have their own place.

Ecommerce definitely has to be facelss and professional. Content sites can go either way depending on what you want your tone and audience to be.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives

Thanks Chris

hmmm.. then I'm thinking I'm best to change what I have on my front page then. Leave the personal/less formal side of it for the 'about me' page maybe...! lol

Will have a good think about it I guess... and see if I should instead come up with a nice shortish, tight paragraph for the front page instead.
    "Deb's How To... In The Online World"
    - E-book: How To Set Up A Website Free

The cornerstone of all sites I develop is reflected in every aspect of the site from the design process to the layout - and that philosophy is 'content FIRST'.

People do not visit websites for goofy graphical borders, convoluted navigations, or fancy flash animations that don't actually show any useful information. They go to websites for the CONTENT.

Tailoring content to the user really hinges on your target audience - in business the 'laid back' approach might work with the mom & pop roach killing company, but do not expect that approach to court the likes of Wallstreet.

It reminds me of a Patton Quote: "Alexander said that it was foolish to consider British and Americans as one people, as we were each foreigners to the other. I said that it was a correct concept and the sooner that everyone recognized it, the better. I told him that my boisterous method of command would not work with the British no matter how successful it might be with Americans, while his cold reserve method would never work with Americans. He agreed."

It's all about who your target audience is, and then writing your copy to fit.