Thread: Trademarks in domain names and MySpace

Junior Registered

Trademarks in domain names and MySpace

Chris, you mentioned in one of your articles, "Do not buy or use a domain with another business’s trademark as all or part of it. You will end up losing the domain." Then you told how you were forced to give up Amazon-Coupons.com.

My question is, what about all the MySpace resource sites like MySpaceThemes.com and MySpaceGateway.com? There are hundreds of these and they have been around for years -- why doesn't MySpace go after them?

I was thinking of starting a resource site for another popular social networking site, and was just wondering what is the real risk in basing my domain name off theirs? I would not be competing with them in any way; on the contrary, my focus would be writing original articles to help and encourage people to use their service.

Just because MySpace doesn't go after them, doesn't mean MySpace cannot go after them. It is a risk they take.

If I were you I'd avoid that potential future risk and just play it safe.

There is nothing wrong with example.com/myspace/ you can use it in your URLs, in your page text etc, just keep it out of the actual domain.
    Chris Beasley - My Guide to Building a Successful Website[size=1]
    Content Sites: ABCDFGHIJKLMNOP|Forums: ABCD EF|Ecommerce: Swords Knives