PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated server backups

ZigE
06-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Has anyone had experience with server backups..

I have a managed dedicated server, and the latest incident at theplanet reminded me I could be doing a better job at offsite backups.

I believe there are some services, that will backup securely to a different location, by either rsync/ftp or something, every night.

I've been searching around the net for a few hours, and a little miffed at the whole process. Just wondering if anyone has any insight :o

Chris
06-04-2008, 08:30 AM
I have an automatic backup script installed on all my servers that backs up forum/blog databases nightly (local, and with an upload), and does all content databases monthly.

With that then all you really need is space somewhere that you can FTP up to.

BGray
06-04-2008, 08:58 PM
I highly recommend setting your own backup or using a service with RSYNC.

RSYNC is probably on your server already and is not only very fast but it also does incremental backups (only backups files that have been updated since the last backup) and is much less of a load on your server.

I have some massive sites so this is really important to me. One of my dbases alone has over 100 million data points.

I am currently using a provider called BQInternet (http://www.bqinternet.com/services.html). They are not the fanciest operation but they've been around a long time and are reliable.

ZigE
06-05-2008, 01:32 AM
That's the second recommendation of BQ Backup I've read & it's cheap enough.. cheers

And it's in NY, far away from texas ;P

webcs
07-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Has anyone had experience with server backups..

I have a managed dedicated server, and the latest incident at theplanet reminded me I could be doing a better job at offsite backups.

I believe there are some services, that will backup securely to a different location, by either rsync/ftp or something, every night.

I've been searching around the net for a few hours, and a little miffed at the whole process. Just wondering if anyone has any insight :o

All of the dedicated servers we utilize or sell use WHM/Cpanel which can we set to bakcup nightly automatically to a second disk drive or to an FTP location.

If you are going to FTP you will need a larger processor and you it will be slower going. Our suggestion is to maintain a small off site server for backups and FTP to it like twice a month, then use a standard backup drive on the local server for local nightly backups. That way you can cover all your bases and not get bogged down with tons of FTP traffic.