PDA

View Full Version : Nameserver question

Babelfish
05-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Ok so I registered my first domain name with Godaddy, and now I want to use downtownhost as my host. My question is there are two options when registering for downtown, the first being "transfer my existing domain name" and "use existing domain and update nameservers only"

Which of these options would be the best. If I need to update nameserver, how exactly do I go about doing that?

Thank you in advance for your time and replies.

Todd W
05-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Update NS @ Godaddy to point to your host, don't transfer your domain to your host.

Dan Schulz
05-28-2008, 01:24 AM
Update Nameservers Only. Though given that GoDaddy is your registar, you might want to seriously considering switching to another one in case someone decides to falsely file a spam claim against you.

I'm not kidding: www.nodaddy.com www.domainwarning.com

allout
05-29-2008, 11:44 AM
It is easy to update your name servers. Just get the name server info from your new host and find the place to edit them in GoDaddy user panel.

I highly recommend never having your domain name registered with the same place you have your hosting service. It is the old saying, "Never chit where you eat."

As Dan stated, it just takes one report to freeze your hosting account and if your domain name is with them, you will not be able to free up your domain name. At least if you keep backups of you site, you can go to a new host and have it up and running again in no time if you still have control of your domain.

Muaz
06-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Hi, This post of mine is very knowledgable and may enhance the information of the viewers , however I would like some specific information for myself. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

Jallin
07-07-2008, 07:45 AM
:yawnb: register a new domain name ;)