PDA

View Full Version : Using too much bandwidth!

ethantinder
05-05-2008, 11:05 AM
A simple question....

this is all about my assignment..really need answer.....
* as for example, I am using too much bandwidth!
Is there anyway for me to make it less???:confused:

somebody.....thanks

deathshadow
05-05-2008, 12:55 PM
90% of the time excessive bandwidth use either comes from too many images without optimization, too much flash, or worst of all, bad coding practices.

Since I'm not sure what "* as for example" means, I'll assume you mean the link in your sig.... which appears to have a broken layout in Opera (that or my having plugins off means bad flash code) - lemme have a looksee in firefux.

Ok, axe the flash for static images, axe the flash for image rotation, that should save a few MEGS right there. The FF web developer toolbar says the home page is:

22k of markup (NOT served compressed)
114k of images in 21 files
36k of scripts (served compressed as 21k) in five files
6k of CSS in two stylesheets.
179k total (164k compressed)

if we copy/paste just the page 'content' - just the text, we come up with only 3.9k of content. 22k of markup for less than 4k of content is a huge red flag SOMETHING is wrong there, much less 36k of scripts for THAT. There is no reason for the markup to that page to exceed 10k.

Among the optimizations that could be made:

Axe the goofy images for the section headers, or combine them to single images with image replacement techniques and properly marked up headings.

Axe the tables that aren't doing anything for you. You've got nine tables on a layout that even USING tables for layout should only take one.

Get rid of the stupid mm_swap rubbish adobe saddled you with. Fat, bloated and doing a job that CSS can not only do better, but usually with less bandwidth AND less handshakes. (nothing says dreamweaver or other adobe product template like mm_swap - do yourself a huge favor and throw that crap in the trash, get a text editor and learn to do it RIGHT)

Get your presentation out of your markup, get your scripting out of your markup. External scripts and CSS are cached across pages - markup is not.

I'm not trying to be mean here, but the code is your typical 1997 style train-wreck. For what the page does I'd not be suprised to be able to cut it down to 10k of scripts, 10k of markup, 40k of images - with the CSS growing to 10-12k. There's really no reason for the home page alone to total more than 80k.

KoolingNod
06-16-2008, 02:03 AM
deathshadow! thanks. Your answer is also use full for me, thanks again.