PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on advertising...

Starting Big
03-18-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm looking at the possibility of creating a job posting website that I believe could be a competitor in the market. What are your thoughts and or experiences with advertising? How much advertising is needed to get the first x-amount of users on the site? I'm looking at advertising on trains, buses, radio, and then the old flyers in parking lots and college campuses. What has been successful for you? How long of an advertising campaign have you had to run before you could slow it down and wait for revenue to come in to pay for more?

Thanks,
James

Chris
03-18-2008, 12:29 PM
I haven't done much offline advertising in my life, but all that I have done, including the fliers around campus bit, was mostly worthless.

Starting Big
03-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Hey Chris,

I forgot to mention, that the site would only be serving Philadelphia and the surrounding areas. I do intend on doing SEO, etc., but with a site serving a particular region, do you still feel local advertising is not as important?

Chris
03-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Sure, but you can also limit your online advertising to certain localities just as easily. So that shouldn't really factor in that much in deciding where to spend more money.

newserversnow
05-20-2008, 11:51 AM
Typically in a new venture, I'd start out with multiple marketing activities or a "shotgun" approach. When one or more begin to convert, divert the funds to the performing efforts.

Todd W
05-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Before I launch a site I make sure I already have a way to drive relatively low-cost / free traffic it to it from other sites I own/run in the same niche. If I have none I create a couple page content site with the sole purpose of promoting my new site in the future. This could be something to look into too.

TryUsOut
05-30-2008, 01:25 AM
It seems the OP is more geared towards doing local offline advertising. I think it is also pertinent to also consider on advertising on other geo-targeted medium. Leasing out banners or text link ads on relevant websites should also be considered.

You also have the option to submit to local niche directories for more online exposure as well. Geo-targeted PPC could also be a good option to reach more of your target audience.

Ask yourself first what other benefits can you offer to your registrants that isn't being offer by your competition - start from there. Best of luck buddy ;)

wearepauls
02-19-2009, 12:34 AM
Here comes a new kind of advertising which I have heard a few days ago Towing a message behind a small airplane. Its a different idea of passing a message like advertising a company.

www.arnoldaerial.com