PDA

View Full Version : Using feeds

StuartDykes
03-10-2008, 12:54 PM
I was surfing recently and saw this thing where someone used feeds to take content and publish it to his site.
Would this actually work for a start?
But mainly what is the legal stance with this?

I also have another question about press releases. Is it still illegal to use pictures from a press release with out asking permission. Say for example I want to start a car site. Can I use the press release from ferrari on my site?

Chris
03-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Some sites allow you to republish their syndicated content, most do not.

Press release pictures, yes, in general you can use them if they're being supplied by the company. As a website publisher you're a member of the media and if you run a ferrari blog those pictures given to you by ferrari can be used.

Be careful though, if a news agency hired a photographer to take a picture to go along with their version of a press release or a related article, you cannot assume that those pictures are from the company in question. Err on the side of caution.

allout
03-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Most times this is frowned on but as long as you give a link back to where you got the article and cite the source many feed sites do not care. However, if you get just one who does, they will report you to your host and have you shut down. You could also face copyright violation problems but this is rare.

It is always best to come up with original content to attract and keep people coming back to your site.