PDA

View Full Version : how many links on front page?

MissMandy
02-28-2008, 10:12 AM
I keep reading you should not have any more then 100 links on your front page, but this just does not suit my site. I currently have 99 links, but I really need to expand that to around 150. What are the pros and negatives of going over 100 links? Or in fact does it not even matter?

Blue Cat Buxton
02-28-2008, 10:15 AM
As a starting point, 100 links is a lot for a user to select from.

There are page rank distribution implications.

Also I recall that a long time ago it was thought Google and other search engines could not account for more than 100 links. Not sure that tis the case now though.

cooluks
02-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Minimize you linkexchange links on your front page... Rather focus more on IBLs...

MissMandy
02-28-2008, 12:25 PM
I notice Chris`s online literature website has well in excess of 100 links on the hompage, hopefully we can get some feedback from him on this.

Chris
02-28-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm sure I mentioned this somewhere in an article or blog post before.

There is no such thing as a link per page limit.

Google has a guidelines for newbies, of 100 links per page. This is so they do not overly dillute any tiny amount of PageRank they have. There is no penalty or discounting involved, they're just trying to encourage small sites to focus their PageRank so that atleast a few of their pages have enough PR to rank well.

When you start actually counting links on pages, 100 is really low. It isn't uncommon for link numbers to stretch into the thousands.

So do not worry about link counts, use however many you need.

ericajoieake
02-29-2008, 12:35 PM
you should not allow so much links on you home page, it must be the only sites with the potential that can give you a lot of traffic and not the site that will drag you down and of course maximize you backlinks to you homepage!