PDA

View Full Version : I want to make an offer, but am clueless...

Starting Big
02-25-2008, 08:42 PM
I own (insert name).com and .net, which are parked free. I would like to own the .org as well. I contacted the owner who suggested he may not use the name for his project, and would entertain an offer. I have absolutely no idea what a reasonable offer is or isn't. I know there are ways to tell what the name might be worth by the wording, etc., but I don't know or understand any of that stuff. I don't want to insult him with a low offer, but then I really can't afford top dollar right now either. Suggestions?

Chris
02-26-2008, 05:47 AM
No real businessman is ever insulted by an offer. An offer is either too low, or just right. If it is too low you will have the freedom to make a higher one.

Try $300.

Westech
02-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Be careful about talking strategy on a public forum. One of the first things I do when negotiating for a domain (as the buyer or seller) is google the name and look for forum discussions just like this one. You might want to xxxx out the domain name in your post. ;)

Starting Big
02-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Thanks guys. I know I sometimes divulge more than I should. It's so hard not to at times due to my level of excitement and this being my first venture. But, you are right, and I will try harder at keeping myself in check. On a good note...I made an offer which consisted of a monetary amount along with (jokingly) a popular food item from my region. The individual said that if he decides to not use the site (should know in a couple of weeks) that he will settle for the food item. As far as one can tell through email, he seems genuine, which is suprising but appreciated. I know I better not get use to it.