PDA

View Full Version : Vacation in Jamaica

Westech
02-13-2008, 07:48 PM
My wife and I are planning a vacation in Jamaica. We've narrowed our choices down to Sandals in Negril or Sandals in Whitehouse.

I remember seeing quite a few of the members here posting about trips to Jamaica in the past. Does anyone have any comments on Negril vs. Whitehouse? Any tips on excursions in those areas that you liked or disliked? Thanks!

Todd W
02-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Dunns River Falls not sure what area it's in but I liked climbing the falls.

Chris
02-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Negril is a really nice beach, literally one of the best in the world. Sandals isn't quite located at the prime location, it is a little south of the really good beach, but still quite nice, and you can always walk up the beach if you like.. I'm not sure where Whitehouse is, never heard of it and have been to Jamaica 4 times.

Don't fly air jamaica unless you can get a direct flight, anything with connections and they're too unreliable.

Trip excursions can be problematic. Jamaica doesn't have the best roads and despite it being a small island, if something is on the other side of the island it is literally an all day trip. Dunns River Falls is on the eastern side, Negril is on the west coast.

Generally we don't go on excursions, more of a relaxing vacation than a doing-things one. But if you go to Negril you'll probably go up to (now very touristy and overpriced) Rick's Cafe to see cliff diving etc. Most of the other excursion type things tend to be around Montego Bay and that is, while not as long as Dunns River Falls, still a drive.

But right in Negril you can scuba, snorkle, parasail, etc.

Todd W
02-14-2008, 01:28 AM
We swam with Dolphins there once I forget where. I think within 30min drive of the falls. It was 'ok' just something I did because the woman wanted too. After seeing all the dolphin attacks not something i'd ever do again.

Chris
02-14-2008, 02:58 PM
There are a couple of those swim with the dolphin locations on the island I believe.

Westech
02-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll let you know how it was when we get back!

KLB
02-15-2008, 10:15 AM
A couple years ago my wife and I had a vacation at Sandals Grande Ocho Rios. We absolutely loved it. We couldn't have asked for a nicer vacation. Sandels is one of the few vendor sales emails I look forward to.

I don't know whether we would choose Sandals in Negril or Sandals in Whitehouse, but I would certainly want to go to another Sandals on our next vacation. Personally I'd like to do all of the Sandals locations. :)

Dunn's River Falls is on the north side of Jamaica near Ocho Rios. Climbing the "falls" was a lot of fun, but really it isn't a natural formation. The falls are actually a man made concrete structure. I don't know if the concrete was poured on a natural falls to strengthen them or not.

Which ever location you choose you should have a wonderful time.