PDA

View Full Version : Why do the images on my web site load so slowly?

LiberMan
02-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Hey!

Here's my web site, www.global-uniforms.com, if you browse the product categories on the left, you will see that the images load very slowly, yet the files are not that big, about 60Kb each...

Any suggestions as to how I can make them load faster or in such a way that looks a bit more professional?

Thanks

Chris
02-06-2008, 11:18 AM
They load slowly because your HTML markup is abyssmal and takes awhile for browsers to render.

mobilebadboy
02-07-2008, 12:24 AM
Loads ok for me, but the coding is still horrendous.

65KB of just code, nearly 100KB combined with images. That page is so basic, it should maybe utilize 30KB at best. The 2 images in the center of the main page are 15KB themselves.

The "ATA" (designed by) logo is 25KB! It's a 266x227 pixel logo that you're displaying at a 10th of the size or less. Resize it, it should take up a couple of KB at best. They should be fired anyway, so that would save room/space.

On an extended note, can't see any way to actually order (not that I would from that site). Catalog gives me a zip, you show mastercard/visa logos but no easily defined way to order online. If you've been in business since 1985, as your "Corporate Vision" page suggests, you are still certainly stuck in 1985.

I couldn't even find out how to get the front page.

I've got to quit now, can't take anymore.

jbladeus
03-01-2008, 02:47 AM
Have you used MS-word to create the web pages?

Actually I ask this because i see a lot of MS-office specific tags in your code. The thing is that MS-word creates html code which does not comply with web standards. Its one of the prime reasons your page could be taking a long time to load.

I just ran your page in the mark up validator (http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.global-uniforms.com%2F) and as you can see, its giving off quite a few errors which you may need to rectify.

Besides the markup, you should also consider optimizing your images for the web before uploading them to the web site.

roje0913
03-20-2008, 05:53 AM
Yes that code is quite convoluted , it does look like something a 3rd tier web program came up with.