PDA

View Full Version : Moving from /blog to root/

Torito
01-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Hi, I have a site with 30 html files in the root directory plus a Wordpress blog with 10 posts under /blog. I'm going to revamp it and turn it into a Wordpress CMS converting the html pages into Wordpress pages plus the blog.

What do you think is the best way to do it? I'm thinking in moving everything under the root directory. How can i move the blog to the root/? and then should i redirect all the html pages with 301?

Do you think this is the best option?

Thanks

Torito
01-30-2008, 09:52 AM
Well I found the specific information http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress. But I still don't know if it's a good idea. :confused:

Chris
01-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Yes, and really with a new or small site it isn't a big deal to do this sort of thing (I assume your site is small/low in traffic because of there only being 10 posts, etc).

Torito
01-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks Chris. Well yes, it's a 3 year old niche content site with most of the traffic coming from Google. I just added the blog recently. Most of the external links point to www.example.com.

Now, I've learnt i can place the index.php in the root/ and keep the whole site, Wordpress CMS with the blog and the pages, under /blog .. or should I move everything to the root/ in www.example.com?

Chris
01-30-2008, 12:38 PM
It is totally up to you. Your homepage will be the strongest possible contender for any keywords you want to target, but so long as you're able to target those words then you don't need to move anything.

Mostly, it is a matter of preference.

jbladeus
03-01-2008, 03:21 AM
You can also 301 redirect your homepage to point to the blog's index page rather than move the blog out to the root.