PDA

View Full Version : Forum Income

Doug
01-17-2008, 08:00 PM
How hard is it to make a decent income from a forum. I have what I think is a good idea for a forum but it is hard for me to get past the inital vbulliten charge. If I was pretty sure I would make that back then I would take the plunge. The forum would be more for my entertainment than anything but I just don't want to lose money with it.

Todd W
01-17-2008, 08:03 PM
$160 is nothing when starting a business.

If you have a doubt of it making that back don't even bother as you won't have the energy nor want to try to make it work if you already have big doubts.

You could always re-sell the license... or buy it from someone who gets them cheaper. ;)
-Todd

Blue Cat Buxton
01-18-2008, 09:46 AM
someone who gets them cheaper ?

Todd W
01-18-2008, 11:08 AM
someone who gets them cheaper ?

Yes. After you own so many you get discounts. It's tiered so the price continually gets lower the more you have.

I think I`m at like $118 now I forget.

-Todd

Chris
01-18-2008, 06:11 PM
It certainly is possible. Some of my forums make significant earnings (even when you just talk about what the forum earns, not the site in general).

Doug
01-21-2008, 11:01 AM
I plan on putting as much time as possible in it's just $160 is a lot for me right now with my financial situation. I'm trying to make it though college without student loans and it's turning out to be hard to do. This forum is something I've wanted to do for a while though.

allout
01-21-2008, 02:36 PM
In my opinion and experience, if you do not have a good bit of money to invest in the beginning, you will never get off the ground. Between the upfront cost, advertising, hiring paid posters and just overall promotion, it could become quite costly. If you are struggling with the $160, I suggest you wait till you have more funds or work on building a partnership.

Most forums fail for lack of funding, lack of time, and overall lack of patience. You may be the lucky one who has an overnight success but most are not and if you can't hang for the long haul, I suggest doing something different.

I had one good success and several failures when it comes to forums and I for one avoid them now. I just do not have the patience to wait for the forum to succeed.