PDA

View Full Version : Will my PageRank come back to me?

Lakerol
01-16-2008, 07:59 AM
Hi all,

My site went offline 4-5 months ago following a dispute with my host. I've finally managed to get the domain back and the site is online.
When it went offline, it had a page rank of 5. When it went offline, all what was left was a "You've successfully installed cPanel!" standard page and when google updated the pageranking it turned into a big fat zero.

My question is, will my pagerank come back to me, now that the site is back online? A few of the links to my site might have disappeared but by and large, I suspect most will still be intact.

Thanks in advance

Chris
01-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Assuming the links are still there, and the site wasn't banned or penalized, yes, it should come back.

Avoid further host disputes, never use your host as your registrar, and always have a backup copy. Worst case scenario, if your host shuts down your site, you should be able to put it backup at a new host in 24 hours.

Lakerol
01-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Problem was my domain was registered on the owner of the hosting company, not me. I tried and get the registrar to help me, but they were of course unable to anything as the hosting company apparently was the owner of the domain.

Could I have been banned/penalized because the entire site was replaced with a default cPanel page?

Chris
01-16-2008, 01:08 PM
It is possible,

and yes, that is what I was talking about. You made the newbie mistake of letting your host control your domain, never ever do that.

In fact, this would make a good blog post, a cautionary tale.

Lakerol
01-17-2008, 03:43 PM
that is what I was talking about. You made the newbie mistake of letting your host control your domain, never ever do that.

Yeah, I've sure learned my lesson.

Btw, in case it did get penalized, is there anything I could do? Is it worth it attempting to contact google about it?

cutiger95
01-19-2008, 11:19 PM
Contacting google probably won't do a lot of good. However as the previous poster said, you are most likely going to be OK as a lot of url's go off and online, as long as it was a generic c-panel page you should be in good shape.

Just as a quick thing you may want to post a link to your site in a couple of high traffic forums, or on a couple of blogs to simply get the search engines back to your site and get it re-indexed.

allout
01-20-2008, 12:45 PM
You will most likely get back the PR over time if all the links are still present. I have seen the same problem in the past and it took a couple of PR updates before it came back. I would suggest do some heavy promotion and link building now and do everything possible to avoid the same thing in the future. Even with a penalty, with good SEO and link building, you will get everything back on track.

Good Luck !

Lakerol
01-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Thanks for your comments. Hopefully it will come back sooner or later.

cooluks
03-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Just try to gather many quality links as possible.. IF you linked to an authority sites it can help a lot..