PDA

View Full Version : Can I edit my page while someone is viewing it?

flyfamilyguy
12-29-2007, 05:24 PM
Hey folks!
I'm new to this whole website creation thing. My site is up,(flyfamilyguy.athost.net). What if someone is viewing my page while I am editing it. Can I change the look of my site while people are viewing it?
Thanks!

Shyflower
12-30-2007, 06:44 AM
That's called editing "on the fly". As long as you haven't saved the "new" page, the viewer sees the "old" page. For minor edits it isn't a problem, but if you're doing a major change that might "break" the page or need other revisions, you're better off to do a "test" page. Save that. Download the final product to your hard drive and then upload it to your FTP.

dvduval
01-01-2008, 08:00 PM
The visitor will see the changes after they refresh the page. Shyflower makes a good suggestion to test your changes before going live, and that way you don't make a silly mistake. :)

flyfamilyguy
01-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks You Guy's!
My problem now is Email. I Installed phpBB to /forum. It's up and running http://www.flyfamilyguy.my2gig.com/forum But every time someone registers, they get a Mail Error Message because email is not set up on my server. This is because I have no idea how to do it. Can someone assist me?
Thanks!

Blue Cat Buxton
01-02-2008, 02:44 AM
Are you sure this free hosting account allows you to set up email?

Shyflower
01-02-2008, 07:40 AM
You can do simple forms in html. However, it's not advisable because they are neither secure for your site nor your visitors. PHP is a server side language. Are you sure that your free server supports php? I think you need to take a better look at the applications your server provides. Most provide some type of form mail, but you won't be able to use applications outside of their limitations.

bermuda
01-06-2008, 01:09 AM
If you are using the free hosting services and need having a form to mail script installed but do not have the PHP installed on server or don't know how they work, you can easily use the third party, free or paid form handling services.