PDA

View Full Version : Distance Learning NET

Yoda
01-26-2004, 09:09 AM
Distance Learning NET (http://www.distancelearningnet.com) is a resource site full of information about distance learning. It contains reproduced reports on the subject, answers to common questions about distance learning (what is it, why should I use it, etc.), and recommendations on which online distance learning programs to use.

It's new. I just submitted it to Google today. I'm not yet content with the amount of content on there...I hope to add more reports, expand the Programs section, and perhaps excerpt some articles, as well.

Criticism is welcome. The design is simple and straightforward, but I feel that's necessary for a site of this nature. The site is rather keyword-rich, as are most of the URLs.

I've got AdSense on there for now, naturally, and the CPC is likely very high, given the bids on Overture. However, I am concerned as to how many people actually search for information on the subject. Knowing the industry a little, I'm confident that it'll continue to grow at a rapid pace, but for the time being I do wonder if even a decent ranking (in the top few pages on Google, for example) will yield much in the way of traffic. Still, with each click likely to be highly profitable, it might not take much to be significantly profitable.

Please, by all means, feel free to suggest any change you think might improve its ranking, or overall quality. Ideas for new (or improved) sections are also welcome.

incka
01-26-2004, 09:17 AM
So it's like the OPEN.NET university? Instead of just info about it why not offer online courses for a fixed fee?

Great design, not the best menu system, but it looks good and can be navigated quite easily.

MarkB
01-26-2004, 09:24 AM
I like it. How about bringing in 'thumbnail' text extracts from your latest articles onto the front page? ie, intro text, etc.

Or just the latest for each subsection? Try to lure users through instead of just providing them with options that they may sit there staring at :)

The design is a little plain, perhaps you could put in some nice studious photos to encourage the 'studying' theme?

Incka: I believe it's an info site, not one actually offering courses or suchlike.

Yoda
01-26-2004, 09:26 AM
Mark is correct. It's a straight-up content site. Thank you for the suggestions, Mark; that's a fine idea (about the subsections). I'll likely implement it tonight.

As for photographs...that's a good idea, as well, though I'm a little ignorant as to how I would find freely available images.

incka: I'd welcome suggestions on the navigation bar. It's designed to be simple and keyword-rich. I figured between the bar on the left, and the tabs, it would work rather well, but if you think it can be improved, feel free to elaborate. :)

MarkB
01-26-2004, 09:33 AM
Yoda, there's a lot of great (free!) photo sites out there... There's one I use that I can't recall right now. When I get home I'll post the URL.

incka
01-26-2004, 09:47 AM
I think the link text is slightly hard to read.

Apart from that it's a great site.

Yoda
01-26-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by MarkB
Yoda, there's a lot of great (free!) photo sites out there... There's one I use that I can't recall right now. When I get home I'll post the URL.
That'd be very helpful. Thanks, Mark. :)

Originally posted by incka
I think the link text is slightly hard to read.

Apart from that it's a great site.
Thanks very much; I've just bolded the links on the left. Hopefully that'll help a bit.

incka
01-26-2004, 10:00 AM
Thats better...

Photos: www.sxc.hu

chromate
01-26-2004, 10:13 AM
Looks cool. One thing I noticed though, is that there is a block of gray at the bottom of the left menu that doesn't align properly. It sticks out into the main (white) page a bit. If you can't see it let me know and I'll attach a screen shot. Also the tone of gray is not exactly the same.

Nice informative site though.

Yoda
01-26-2004, 10:21 AM
Yeah, it works fine for me (the gray matches up and there's nothing sticking out), so a screenshot would be quite help. Also, any information on what OS and browser you're using would be helpful as well. :)

MarkB
01-26-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by incka
Thats better...

Photos: www.sxc.hu

That's the one, Yoda :)

incka
01-26-2004, 12:32 PM
I was visiting it this lunch time looking for pictures of businessmen in suits for a friends new site. I didn't find any suitable ones but there was one where a businessman looked my budda, very humorous.

chromate
01-26-2004, 01:08 PM
You should also check out istockphoto.com. They've got some great stuff over there.

I've attached the image of what I'm seeing. I'm using IE5.5 / Win2kpro. Screen res: 1280x1024

Chris
02-05-2004, 10:50 AM
I like the style, its very retro-cool.

You should allow people to write reviews on programs. Also with only 4 programs listed you're sorely needing more content. I wouldn't call UofPhoenix the most prestigious program either. They just do alot of advertising. You can get degrees through the Internet from ivy league schools. Much more prestigious.

Resources for more content:

http://www.worldwidelearn.com/

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/elearning/elhome.htm

Yoda
02-06-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Chris
I like the style, its very retro-cool.
Thanks. :) Can't take credit for the entire logo, though; I only did part of it.

You should allow people to write reviews on programs. Also with only 4 programs listed you're sorely needing more content. I wouldn't call UofPhoenix the most prestigious program either. They just do alot of advertising. You can get degrees through the Internet from ivy league schools. Much more prestigious.
I was mostly just paraphrasing from summaries found elsewhere, and from their site. As for reviews; I threw a quick system together today. Thanks for the reminder; can't believe I never got around to doing it before.

Resources for more content:

http://www.worldwidelearn.com/

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/elearning/elhome.htm
They've both got loads, no doubt, but I don't believe any of it is freely available. Or were you suggesting something else?

Chris
02-06-2004, 06:49 PM
I suggested those sites merely as sources to find more programs. Obviously you cannot copy their reviews, but you can use their sites as references.