PDA

View Full Version : What is Google PageRank?

NightOwl888
12-11-2007, 03:30 PM
While I know this may seem like a no brainer, I am looking for a definition of the word. I kind of get the gist of what it is, but I am just trying to put it into words. So what is your definition of Google PageRank?

Chris
12-11-2007, 03:38 PM
http://www.websitepublisher.net/blog/2006/11/17/pagerank-an-essay/

NightOwl888
12-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks, that was a pretty darn good answer. Can anyone provide a more brief definition?

lee_vhoi_ol
12-12-2007, 10:11 AM
It's one of the many ways to ascertain the quality of the page/site. It's assumed that the more links to your site there are(and the higher the quality of the site they are from) around the web, the higher the quality of your site.

Of course, PR is not solely sufficient to determine quality, so it's not the only thing that matters.

tomfrederick
01-30-2008, 03:21 AM
Google ranks websites in their directory using a measure referred to as GPR.

cooluks
01-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Thanks, that was a pretty darn good answer. Can anyone provide a more brief definition?

PageRank aka PR is one of the methods Google uses to determine the relevance or importance or popular the website is and based largely on link popularity, on a scale of 0 to10. The theory is that high quality sites receive a higher PageRank based on visitors and traffic your site receives. PageRank is a “vote”, by all the other pages on the internet.....

Benefit of PR:

"The biggest benefit of using PageRank doesn't come in at the ranking step, it comes in at the document retrieval stage, when you're trying to decide which of 27,438,902 documents that matched the query text are actually worth ranking. The search engine's job at the retrieval stage is to pick 1,000 documents to rank, without losing any really important documents.

PageRank excels at this. In fact, PageRank's role in the retrieval process is why Google's "Supplemental Index" exists. When they created the SI, they recognized that some documents had such low PageRank that they were unlikely to make the cut for most search queries. Those documents live in the supplemental index.

Maintaining a smaller main index improved the speed of document retrieval, and if they couldn't get 1000 results from the main index, they could always go dip into the supplemental index to get more documents. Google didn't run out of "document ID numbers" for the main index , they did it to improve performance."

FYI: "As of now Google disables the viewing of Supplemental Results Pages"

kenneth.robert
01-31-2008, 02:42 AM
Google uses a weighted form of link popularity called PageRank. if you want see google page rank on your monitor screen. you can download the google toolbar to see the google page rank.

terryson01
01-31-2008, 03:42 AM
Benefit of PR:

"The biggest benefit of using PageRank doesn't come in at the ranking step, it comes in at the document retrieval stage, when you're trying to decide which of 27,438,902 documents that matched the query text are actually worth ranking. The search engine's job at the retrieval stage is to pick 1,000 documents to rank, without losing any really important documents.

PageRank excels at this. In fact, PageRank's role in the retrieval process is why Google's "Supplemental Index" exists. When they created the SI, they recognized that some documents had such low PageRank that they were unlikely to make the cut for most search queries. Those documents live in the supplemental index.

Maintaining a smaller main index improved the speed of document retrieval, and if they couldn't get 1000 results from the main index, they could always go dip into the supplemental index to get more documents. Google didn't run out of "document ID numbers" for the main index , they did it to improve performance."

FYI: "As of now Google disables the viewing of Supplemental Results Pages"

you give very nice information about benefits of PR. I gain lot more from that thanx.

Marshal
06-20-2008, 05:37 AM
PageRank is Google's method of calculating a web page's relevance and importance through the quality of sites.
PageRank is Google's system of counting link votes and determining which pages are most important based on them. These scores are then used along with many other things to determine if a page will rank well in a search.
________
Vaporizer wiki (http://vaporizerwiki.com)

bermuda
06-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Google PR is just a figure, a number, a green bar created for Google's use only and there is no need obtaining high PR for reaching the top rankings.

kisuke
06-26-2008, 05:17 AM
Google PR is just a figure, a number, a green bar created for Google's use only and there is no need obtaining high PR for reaching the top rankings.

i agree. but having a higher PR the more chances you can get Link Exchange and it is good for your site.

bermuda
07-19-2008, 02:04 AM
Well, I no longer even think about exchanging links with other webmasters, maybe you still are using this technique.

TryUsOut
08-04-2008, 07:05 AM
Another thing about PR is that it is solely based on (dofollow) links pointing to your site. Its a matter of links, links, and more links ;)