PDA

View Full Version : Wikipedia - Delusions of grandeur?

Blue Cat Buxton
11-21-2007, 05:57 AM
make Wikipedia available in developing countries through DVDs, books and pamphlets (http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate)

This makes me so cross, Why they think they have the pedigree to force their education on 3rd world countries.

Chris
11-21-2007, 06:33 AM
Not to mention the cost.

Todd W
11-21-2007, 10:49 AM
Probably better for people in the USA to donate their OLD out dated encyclopedias they have on CDs than to give them that Wikipedia crap! I know I just tossed a few.

Funny thing is I want to get a real, 'book' set for my house.

Chris
11-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Oh... those actual book encyclopedias are a waste of money IMO now with the Internet. Having to double-check accuracy is a small price to pay for infinite information.

Todd W
11-21-2007, 05:03 PM
Oh... those actual book encyclopedias are a waste of money IMO now with the Internet. Having to double-check accuracy is a small price to pay for infinite information.

I just want them to have them for the library. Something more to read when Internet dies, etc.

-Todd

Chris
11-21-2007, 05:43 PM
So you can learn 2 facts on 300 different topics? Heh...

If the Internet ever died I'd want a library of practical how-to books to deal with the nuclear winter or whatever it is that caused it.

Todd W
11-21-2007, 09:40 PM
So you can learn 2 facts on 300 different topics? Heh...

If the Internet ever died I'd want a library of practical how-to books to deal with the nuclear winter or whatever it is that caused it.

I have plenty of those books already :lol:

Just because the encyclopedia's are not updated regularly or contain the newest information they still have the basics correct ;) and for $50 or $100 on CraigsList that's good enough for me... Of course I wont be using them for any sites, or to lookup NEED TO KNOW info.

Generalissimo
11-22-2007, 12:57 AM
I felt strange reading that on wikipedia, but equally if I had to give access to an source of education to anyone who couldn't afford any it would be wikipedia - although I'd much prefer it if they had internet access to it, perhaps a few articles would change their bias when people who live off less than the price of a chocolate bar a day edit them.

ZigE
11-22-2007, 04:58 AM
make Wikipedia available in developing countries through DVDs, books and pamphlets (http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate)

This makes me so cross, Why they think they have the pedigree to force their education on 3rd world countries.

Why does it make you cross? These countries don't have the infrastructure to support any sort of computer technology / the internet, but the things they could learn through any sources of information could be invaluable

Education = Knowledge = Power

Something these regions are severely lacking.

The gap between the 1st world, and 3rd world countries is only going to grow larger over time. So I guess the question is, is it solely the Governments responsibility to help in these regions (which isn't what they're appointed for) or if a private body, e.g. wikipedia, which is slowly becoming an extremely large global collection of information about everything, steps in, and tries to assist in any way possible.

Maybe there is some animosity from search marketers due to irrelevant rankings in certain industries. Or to the degree in which it is operated & edited, but on the whole wikipedia is very cool, and I personally use it alot to help understand the world around me.

Generalissimo
11-22-2007, 05:24 AM
I think the ambition to make the third world countries closer to first world countries through knowledge misunderstands the problem. Wealth doesn't come from knowledge, it comes from already having wealth, and having the means to defend that wealth. Knowledge isn't going to redress the balance (but it won't hinder either).

Chris
11-22-2007, 05:51 AM
Why does it make you cross? These countries don't have the infrastructure to support any sort of computer technology / the internet, but the things they could learn through any sources of information could be invaluable

sure they do. My brother was in the peacecorp in the middle of Africa and taught in this school at this village and guess what, they had PCs and were getting Internet access. This school was poor, part of each school day included the students tending the schools rice field which was how they got their food at lunchtime.

Wireless technology of course for the access, but wireless isn't so bad.

ZigE
11-22-2007, 06:38 AM
sure they do. My brother was in the peacecorp in the middle of Africa and taught in this school at this village and guess what, they had PCs and were getting Internet access. This school was poor, part of each school day included the students tending the schools rice field which was how they got their food at lunchtime.

Wireless technology of course for the access, but wireless isn't so bad.

Wow, maybe it is a better option economically (and long term) to help through the investment of pcs/wireless.

What were your brothers views after leaving the region?

I can't help but feel it really is a lost cause at this stage. Good intentions can never win against the global economics of it all, growing global population, finite natural resources etc.