PDA

View Full Version : Help with my first website....

neil_ross
11-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Hello everyone!

This is my first post, great site you have here!

i was hoping someone could give me some help......

ive made my first site in dreamweaver and i now need to buy a domain and get it hosted. As i have never done this before i was wondering if someone could tell what i need to do and what to look out for (any cons etc), is there a particular site to buy space/names from?

thanks for all your help

Neil :D

Chris
11-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Godaddy is going to be pretty cheap as far as registration goes.
Or enom.

I wouldn't ever buy anything else from a registrar though except the domain, they'll try to upsell you with all sorts of junk, stay away from that.

Never get your hosting and your domain from the same company, too many eggs in 1 basket there.

Todd W
11-16-2007, 06:36 PM
I personally like to use eNom ovr GoDaddy yet I have domains with both. (Only some with GoDaddy from their cheap .99 info deails, and transfers there, all get moved to enom eventually).

As far as hosting goes 1AND1 was a support and billing nightmare, HostGator had server/network issues for 5+hrs at a time.. The only host other than my own server I've been happy with for almost two years now (no recorded down time) has been: http://hostasaurus.com/ They host some of my customers eCommerce sites, and thus why they charge more than your average web host.

-Todd

andyf
12-09-2007, 05:25 AM
Neil, As you are new to hosting world you should look for a host who is available round the clock for you with easy communication modes(Live chat/email/Phone). They should guarantee maximum uptime and should be affordable :) It's not too difficult to get such reliable host, you just need to do your research before.
Regarding Domain registrar, try to keep your registrar different from your host.
My vote for : enom :)

stream
12-19-2007, 05:43 AM
Can someone here expound on the reason to keep registrar different from the host?
Ty

paul
12-19-2007, 12:22 PM
Can someone here expound on the reason to keep registrar different from the host?
Ty
Some folks have found their domain(s) held hostage when they got crosswise with their hosting company. It puts the hosting company in a position where they can say "Pay us what we want, or you loose your domain."

LaZyLuke
04-15-2008, 10:50 PM
Hi.
I have a question about registering/hosting my own website on .com domain.
I have seen many (joke related) websites that are on .com and im sure they haven't paid for that. How do i host/register my own (very small) website. If possible at all.... If not, can an1 post a link to a hoster that allows submitting my own .html file and not using pre-created templates.
Thank You, Luke

Chris
04-16-2008, 07:26 AM
First thing you do is buy a domain at a place like namecheap.com or wherever.

Then you buy a hosting account at a place like hostrocket or wherever.

Then you get the DNS (name server) information from your host, then login to your account at your registrar and and setup that information for your new domain.

It takes time for things to resolve, but generally within 12 hours of updating your registrar your site will be working.

Then you use a program like FTP to upload the files you want to your new web hosting account.

Or, if you really just want a place to put content and want to start simple, open a wordpress.com or blogger.com account.

hans123
07-19-2008, 03:30 AM
godaddy or namecheap both are good ...

greenwitch
10-16-2008, 07:33 AM
There is an important fact that I didn't know when I registered my first domains with GoDaddy (add here whatever other company you use and has discounts): coupons. When you register a new domain name, it's a good thing to have some at hand. You can simply make a google search for them... For GoDaddy here are some coupon codes you can enter at checkout to save some money:
CRAZY3 - .COM for $7.45 - Save $2
CRAZY1 - 10% off any order
CRAZY2 - $5 off any order $30 or more
They work with renewals also, if needed, and do not expire.

Good luck!

GamersLifeLine
01-20-2009, 07:03 AM
Personally, i'd move away from godaddy...they are frankly cheap, as soon as your domain expires they will give it to someone else if it is being waited on. Pay the extra couple of dollars and get something more reliable...try to buy from a company in your country, that way if you have any issues...they are less difficult to contact

In reference to web hosting: as i have said in other posts...why pay $300 a year for hosting? You can get it 100% free with all the same features and all it takes is to contribute to the community through posting. Thats it...im not advertising!!! Im trying to help you guys save money...see my signature for details