PDA

View Full Version : State of New York attempting to use affiliates to establish tax nexus

Selkirk
11-13-2007, 07:45 PM
It seems that the New York state government is claiming that Amazon.com's affiliate program creates what's known in tax circles as a "nexus" in their state. (via (http://www.metafilter.com/66488/Tax-in-the-Age-of-Amazon))

If New York is successful, it means that amazon.com will have to collect sales tax for purchases shipped to New York. Most likely other states would follow and other retailers with affiliate programs as well. Some may choose to end their affiliate programs instead of collecting state sales taxes.

Chris
11-14-2007, 06:55 AM
Just dumb. New York has so many dumb laws.

One that really pisses me off I think is just New York City but it states that if you have nutrition information on your menu or website it must be listed on your public menu the same size as the font for the entres and right along side them.

If you do not have nutrition data anywhere you don't have to share it.

This idiotic law forced hundreds of restaurants to stop sharing nutrition data, even on their website, even to people who do not like in New York City, rather than change their menus and all the signs in their stores.

Idiot lawmakers forced the exact opposite effect of what they wanted.

Cutter
11-14-2007, 06:45 PM
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2007/11/spitzers_attempted_tax_grab_co.html

It sounds to me like the whole thing is on pretty shaky legal ground.

KLB
11-16-2007, 09:12 AM
This will be interesting to watch. Let's hope New York gets shot down by the courts on this one.

amberstar702
12-06-2007, 11:27 AM
New York's tax structure has always been outrageous. They have state and city tax! People who ar employed in New York and live in New Jersey or Connecticut are required to pay that foolish tax. Left there years ago for more reasonable areas.....:eek:

demosfen
12-07-2007, 08:33 PM
Left there years ago for more reasonable areas.....:eek:

We export our laws. It may take a while, but if NY passes some legislature, other states often follow. You can run, but you can't hide, not for too long anyway :)