PDA

View Full Version : Can you guys/gals critique my site?

bababooey
11-13-2007, 12:01 PM
I recently started a site and was hoping i could get some 'help' on what may be wrong with it? color/layout/style....etc.

http://www.slipcoverhome.com

Thanks!!

Cutter
11-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Resize your preview images rather than scaling them with html.

Also make "Next items" links bigger and more visible. Other than that, I think your good.

Nico
11-13-2007, 05:37 PM
You are using pretty old HTML and not much CSS.
You should create an external CSS file and manage the design from there. Then you can remove al those ugly <font> tags.

You can also put a contact form, instead of just your mail address. It'll help both, your users and you.

The design is basic, but looks good. I would play a little with the outer border, since i don't like that one very much. And maybe add a nice border to the thumbnails.

Some of the URLs are really long and you should try to improve that by making them shorter or SEF. Example: http://www.slipcoverhome.com/item.cfm?sfafid=1398&LineItemCode=28837&name=Performance%20Twill%20Sky%20Loveseat%20Slipco ver

When you view a product, the description is to close to the image. At least in Firefox.

Good luck!

bababooey
11-14-2007, 07:44 AM
Unfortunately i do not have acces to thumbnails, the site if fed from a datafeed from the manufacturer which is dynamic and they do not provide URLS to the thumbnails.

I will try the css, but I hate css but since it is the new thing I will make a noble attempt.

Contact form is next, I was lazy when i first did it.

I will test it with Firefox, didnt bother before.

Next items bigger....will do.

I can cut back the URLs a bit, I put extra parms for my tracking but can do it another way.

Thanks for all your help!
Mike

Cutter
11-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Don't even waste your time with CSS. Come back to that after the site is making money.

josh_ervin
11-18-2007, 02:56 PM
You are forced to scroll horizontally when viewing the site on an 800x600 screen resolution, which is the screen resolution I use. I despise having to scroll horizontally to view content and I’m not alone so if it were my site I would fix this issue.

Otherwise, I like the color scheme, navigation and layout.