PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Network & ADSL Moden Won't Work!

incka
01-22-2004, 09:30 AM
I can connect to the internet using my ADSL modem, but windows comes up with safly remove hardware. When I use it, unplug it, wait a minute and put it back in it comes up again. I don't want to unplug it...

And my network cross over cable won't work...

r2d2
01-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Gonna have to give some more details here!

You say you can connect, so I cant quite see what the problem is here?

You probably dont want a crossover cable if it is just between your NIC and the modem.

incka
01-22-2004, 12:18 PM
Ok: Network:

Family PC:
Connected To Internet
Connected To Printer

My PC:
Connected To Nothing

PCs are equal on the network, with none being a server and none being above the other.

Family PC has to be on for internet and printer to be contacted by My PC.

The problem is both PCs are not currently registering that the crossover cable between them is active, both stating that the crossover cable is unplugged at the other end.

Also I think another program might be connecting to the internet, as when I turn on I am requested to connect to something like meta_____.com (i forgot the second word) and when I connect to the internet, it disconnects me after the first page, and I have to connect again if I want to surf the web.

r2d2
01-23-2004, 02:37 AM
Can you try another crossover cable? Sounds like its broken, as if it is working, it will say its connected irrespective of whether its actuallycarrying data.

incka
01-23-2004, 09:16 AM
It does have a warrenty for anything, even workmen breaking it, so...

incka
01-24-2004, 04:46 AM
The network is working now, but it won't connect to the internet upstairs, and MSN is saying it is because I am behind a firewall. I am, but I turned it off as usual, I even turned my virus scanners off too, but it still says I am... What's happening?

r2d2
01-24-2004, 05:04 AM
You on messenger Incka?

Msn messenger that is..

incka
01-24-2004, 06:37 AM
sean@incka.com = My MSN

I'm on the other computer but it has swapped location. They both still have the problem. So it's definatly the network cable. The online problem is that the network cable is under the floorboards, so it will take about 4 hours to replace it.