PDA

View Full Version : UCE from whois data

Westech
11-02-2007, 02:41 PM
I've always heard that it's against the whois terms of use for companies to harvest contact info from it for sales purposes. I've always used a specific email address on my whois info that's never used for anything else. When email comes in to that address, the only way someone could have found it was through whois. I've always gotten some spammy email to that address, but lately I'm getting a lot more from supposedly legitimate companies. They seem to be getting more and more bold about it.

Is there any process for filing a complaint against a specific company for this? If not, there should be.

Chris
11-02-2007, 02:47 PM
I got a whitelist for my email like that. Any email going to the domain email address that isn't from my registrars or icann gets trashed automatically.

Westech
11-02-2007, 02:52 PM
What do you do about the phone number? We have companies who blatantly take our number from the whois and use it for cold sales calls. When I call them out on this several have openly admitted getting our number from the whois and they don't seem to think there's anythign wrong with it.

FPU
11-03-2007, 09:42 AM
There is nothing you can do, it is public information, if you want to avoid this pay for private registration on specific domains.