PDA

View Full Version : dual monitors

Chris
10-26-2007, 01:50 PM
I'm thinking about getting dual monitors... I think my graphics card can handle it... how difficult is it to switch from a single monitor setup?

mobilebadboy
10-26-2007, 02:11 PM
I just did this. It was as simple as plugging in the other monitor (on XP).

I love it, being able to move stuff out of the way on that other monitor, and moving all my Photoshop palettes over to it as well, gives me nice workspace on my main monitor.

I suggest downloading Ultramon (http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/).

I keep several windows running on my other monitor, and they're isolated to just that taskbar, leaving the taskbar on my main monitor less cluttered.

Chris
10-26-2007, 04:41 PM
did you get any stand to do it? I think I may need one since the platform my monitor sits on is really only big enough for 1

Todd W
10-26-2007, 07:00 PM
I've been on Dual Monitors 20.1" Dell non-wide screens for a couple years now and it's awesome! I plan to add another in the future to do 3. However, when I do 3 I plan to get a widescreen for the middleand use my existing for the outside... as I need a bigger work area.

UltraMon is awesome I use that as well. I keep my emails open on one monitor all the time checking every 5 minutes, and it's a good spot to put chats as well as IE to compare back to FF or code you are working on.

I have a URL to a place that sells awesome stands/arms for dual up to quad monitors they are pricey for the nice ones think ~400+ for the stand alone.. but they swing, tilt, raise and lower so def. worth it.

Once you go dual you'll never go back.

Oh, and I have 1 centered monitor still, and one off to my right angled inward, no way you can do split in the middle.

-Todd

Generalissimo
10-26-2007, 10:50 PM
How powerful a computer would you need to run this? Would a good laptop do?

mobilebadboy
10-26-2007, 11:56 PM
My setup is funky, lol. Right now my other monitor sits on top of three 14 pound curl weights on top of a 30+ quart cooler. I have a really small computer desk.

I'm working on building a custom desk, it's just taking me a while. The other monitor looks low, but the way I sit in my chair, it works alright. But I do love my neighbor. He's a big wig with Phillips, decided to get rid of a 21" monitor. I'll take it, lol. Also gave me that wireless router on top of the desk, and a webcam/headphone setup (cam not seen, mic below the monitor on the desk).

http://shawnkerr.com/dual.jpg

paul
10-27-2007, 08:15 AM
For what I do, multiple monitors are wonderful. When I bought a newer computer I tried to set it up with three monitors, but ran into some technical issues (windows xp). Two was easier.

I had had some issues with carpel tunnel problems in my right thumb which forced me to learn to mouse left handed. I discovered it works really well to have two monitors on my old computer, with the mouse on my left and two more on the new computer on the right. With some practice I figured out which applications to keep open on each computer to minimize the need to cut and paste.

Why would anyone need four monitors?

1. email program
2. Dreamweaver
3. Domain name registrar
4. Ebay
5. Hosting company
6. A forum or two :)
7. Archive.org
8. Backpack account

If I did more coding the new monitors that swivel 90 degrees would be really tempting.

Cutter
10-27-2007, 02:41 PM
I had been using multiple monitors for around 2-2 1/2 years until about a month ago, when my video card fried. Even though the new one supports two, I had a few problems, and just switched back to one.

I've been a huge advocate of multi-monitors, but now I am not so sure. Having two monitors makes multi-tasking too easy, which is a major productivity killer.

Todd W
10-27-2007, 02:44 PM
I had been using multiple monitors for around 2-2 1/2 years until about a month ago, when my video card fried. Even though the new one supports two, I had a few problems, and just switched back to one.

I've been a huge advocate of multi-monitors, but now I am not so sure. Having two monitors makes multi-tasking too easy, which is a major productivity killer.

Depends how you look at it.

I couldn't sit here all day if all I did was code/design check site... checking the emails as they come in or the random IM may kill 30min or 1hr a day but it's what makes sitting here most of the day tolerable.

The people who get stuck on forums, im, email for ALL day are the ones I could see it possibly hurting.

I also use IM and E-mail to run different aspects of business.. so thy are tools I use to multi task and are needed.

Blue Cat Buxton
10-27-2007, 11:51 PM
I would make the same point as cutter. It is very easy to get distracted by email / forums / etc, and loose any productivity benefitsof 2 or more monitors

mobilebadboy
10-28-2007, 08:33 PM
I love it, but I still manage it about the same as I did with one monitor. The Photoshop advantage was my biggest "want" out of dual monitors. The only things I really leave running on the 2nd monitor are Windows Explorer, Filezilla and my news reader.

Those pretty much stayed running anyway on one monitor (Filezilla and my news reader in the system tray). Now I don't have to pull them from the system tray, and it gets Windows Explorer out of the way on my main monitor.

I've noticed no change in my habits. I've found it easier to work on my sites too. Instead of juggling windows on one monitor, I can work on one thing on my main monitor and move right over to the 2nd and upload it to a site (more of a benefit now since I no longer run a local server, so testing could take a few of tries).

I guess it depends on what you do online. I visit very few forums (this one, ABestWeb, eXtremepixels and occasionally one or two others). I don't do IMs. I even turn my cell phone off alot just to cut out another distraction.

ZigE
10-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Any more than 2 monitors would be a nightmare.

I use one, but find myself looking outside the window every 10 minutes or so. Which is good as it gives my eyes a rest, something to focus on, i'd rather not go blind :p

Franzibald
10-29-2007, 04:34 PM
Personally I love multi-screen environments. I currently have 3 set up in my room and want to add another. The best part is the fun you can have moving the mouse from one screen to another. Yet eventually you get so pissed off that it doesn't work on normal computers that are beside each other :P it's also really easy to switch to a multi-screen senario
~Franzibald

Chris
10-30-2007, 04:28 PM
Well.. its up and working... haven't installed the software yet but I'm going to do that now.

I'm mostly going to do it so that I can monitor passive processes on the side screen while doing work on the main screen.

Chris
10-30-2007, 10:06 PM
its been a few hours... and I really like them so far... except now they're putting out twice as much heat, but its nice.

.... I do have room for a third I think... hehehe..

mobilebadboy
10-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Yeah, the heat will increase. My little corner was already warm, although I do keep the side off my tower. The new 21" has helped in the warmth.

ZigE
10-31-2007, 03:37 AM
Not to go offtopic.. but one thing I want right now is a whiteboard.

I have a large blank space of wall just sitting there, that I keep steering at, and i'd love to use it to visually put down /map out ideas, plans, site structures.

I have a feeling they're quite expensive though..

paul
10-31-2007, 05:04 AM
Not to go offtopic.. but one thing I want right now is a whiteboard.

I have a large blank space of wall just sitting there, that I keep steering at, and i'd love to use it to visually put down /map out ideas, plans, site structures.

I have a feeling they're quite expensive though..

My son found some large, clear, adhesive sheets that would stick to the wall but peel off easily. Kind of like post-it's for the wall. They were not expenive; Office Max or Office Depot I think.

ZigE
10-31-2007, 06:06 AM
I actually looked, and they aren't that expensive, $200-300 for 2m x 1m, new

:thumbs_up

Todd W
11-12-2007, 01:10 PM
New 30" Dell LCD MONITOR on the way :ladysman: .

I'll give reviews once I get it setup and configured.

I'm really excited about being able to see complete lines of code, and arrange my screen better. The 20.1" (non-wide) does NOT have enough room, even with two the second is used up already with e-mail, media player, and IM application(s).

My new setup will be 1 30" and 1 20.1" the other 20.1" will go to the PC on the left of me, and also double as my TV for the office.

new post with more info when I get it.