PDA

View Full Version : How do you manage your time, and achieve results?

MarkB
01-19-2004, 04:15 AM
I get perhaps 3-4 hours a day to work on my sites, after spending 10 hours working/commuting.

Part of this time block is used up catching up on emails, reading my regular forums, checking ad revenue, and just trying to relax after work. So, I'm left with - say - 2-3 hours of 'site' time.

But since I have a number of sites on the go, I do tend to flit around a lot.

I'm wondering how others manage multiple sites effectively? Do you have set days of the week you work on certain sites, or do you just do what needs doing?

Interested in your thoughts and processes :)

r2d2
01-19-2004, 06:16 AM
With similar working and commuting time, and then extra time on neccesities like the girlfiend, I get 3 or 4 hours, about 2 nights a week, and maybe a similar amount on saturday and sunday....

Am just writing content for a new site I have up my sleeve, but often forums are more interesting ;)

Trying to make my time as productive as possible, I think I spend too much of my time researching something, but not actually working on producing some kind of output.

flyingpylon
01-19-2004, 07:04 AM
I have the same problem. I spend so much time researching, etc. trying to make sure I do things "right" that in the end I actually *do* nothing. It's called "analysis paralysis".

Although, if you guys are getting 3-4 hour blocks of time, and especially if it's more than just a few times a week, consider yourselves lucky! I have a wife and a 2 year-old son and while I love them dearly, they sure cut into my web development time. And what time I do get is very fractured (a little here, a little there) which makes it hard to concentrate sometimes.

I'd also be interested in hearing how others structure their time and effort. I know I need to make some changes as I often get frustrated with the lack of progress I'm making.

incka
01-19-2004, 10:19 AM
Hardly any of my time is making sites, most is checking stats and looking for new ideas and posting here.

michael_gersitz
01-19-2004, 11:14 AM
I spend alot of time adding new content to my sites. I tend to find that I have to much time to work on my sites, and I get bored, and don't work on them at all. But if I am tied up with a project, everything comes after it...

MarkB
01-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Nobody else has stories to share?;)

r2d2
01-20-2004, 02:42 PM
Maybe be they're too busy with sites :confused:

:rolleyes:

I also have a hour at lunchtimes which I spend pretty much reading forums, think I might try to write some content at lunchtimes - bit too much like work tho :rolleyes:

incka
01-20-2004, 02:49 PM
In the last 2 days I have spent about 4 hours each day actually developing sites, not just posting, checking stats, etc.

GCT13
01-20-2004, 03:44 PM
I usually work best when I decide what I want to do before I turn the computer on. I write down what I want to do, turn on the computer and do it.

If I turn on the computer before thinking about specifically what I want to do, I end up doing nothing except checking stats / email / web surfing.

I, like others here, have a day job; is anyone ever tempted to sneak in a little non-work work while at work? ;)

kdb003
01-20-2004, 05:16 PM
i work on my sites when i have something else to do that i dont want to do. "relative motivation"

emke
01-20-2004, 05:29 PM
I go to university so I don't work but I study business and law at the same time. I have an extremely tough schedule as I need to attend classes of two different universities and also need to study a lot when the exams are up.

Basically what I do is that when my classes are starting I work on my sites a lot. Than when it's exam time I don't do anything on the sites I just study and surf ocasionally. I really like to work on my sites so its hard sometimes but I always have a notebook where I write down my ideas and possible improvements and try to follow then when I have the time for my sites.

I don't look at my stats at all on daily basis, sometimes I don't look at them for weeks. I try to improve my sites and work on the content instead of wasting time. The traffic will pick up and the digital camera site is doing really well so I try to implement the same things on my other sites and hope for the same traffic in a couple of months.

Shawn
01-20-2004, 05:42 PM
I do this full-time and I work on my sites less than most of you who don't do this full-time. I really need to get moving.

michael_gersitz
01-20-2004, 07:52 PM
I am suprised you only have two sites. I am not happy with my 5 sites...

DaveM
01-20-2004, 08:03 PM
Like Shawn I do this full time but my work pace really varies.

Sometimes I'll work the entire day but then some weeks I won't do anymore then 1 hour of a work each day for a few days...

It's nice to take a break sometimes and I feel I get more work done this way then sticking to a schedual.

MarkB
01-20-2004, 11:28 PM
Gimme a job! ;)

incka
01-21-2004, 12:08 AM
Well, this is my job, but I am also a student...

Nick
01-22-2004, 01:05 AM
I'm a full time student as well.

I'm also currently enemployed, thanks to the lovely management at the local Chilies Restaurant. I'm hoping to start make enough money so that I won't need to get another job......EVER!!

Lately, I've been working on sites about 5 hours a day.

Yoda
01-22-2004, 10:21 AM
It varies. Sometimes I'll go on a spree and get half a dozen things done...sometimes because I've been putting them off for awhile, and then suddenly become fed up. It's rather like someone who saves absolutely everything, only to have it get so extreme that he gets rid of it all in one fell swoop.

I do my best work late at night, generally.

Chris
01-24-2004, 09:07 AM
I don't have alot of time unfortunately, especially since I bought my new house. My sword site is atleast 2-3 hours of every day. Alot of my other sites haven't been updated in months (years even). I don't even have time to check stats daily anymore.

shim
02-01-2004, 01:37 AM
I work on my sites mostly on the weekends, due to my jam-packed schedule.