PDA

View Full Version : Blueprint Discussion Forums

qest
01-18-2004, 10:26 PM
Well... I've finished up and just wanted to see what people thought. Took a long time and a lot of work. It's an invision power board that I've skinned myself and modded left, right, and center.

http://www.mwmods.com/blueprint

If you are interested, don't hesitate to join. I appreciate any feedback. I know that the skin doesn't view right under mozilla and netscape (I used backgrounds on the table cells, which is not supported by those browsers), but I can't really fix that without more or less starting over.

Thankyou,
qest

ozgression
01-18-2004, 10:34 PM
The icons are amazing... The header is too hard to read, though. Also, I am not very sure what your forum is about.

BTW, Fastclick don't allow their banners to be shown on forums, let alone at the bottom of your forum/page...

cheers
________
Toyota NZ engine (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_NZ_engine)

qest
01-18-2004, 10:41 PM
Thanks, but I didn't make the icons, they are from an icon collection for windows xp that the author was kind enough to let me use.

As for the banner, it's supposed to be kinda subtle :).

The forum is just general discussion, on just about every topic (unless I missed one ;)). I'm not sure what you mean by the ads. But I confirmed their placement with my host, so I don't think the position is a problem.

incka
01-19-2004, 01:16 AM
Did you put the ads there or are they your hosts ads?

chromate
01-19-2004, 05:39 AM
The design is awesome. It's got a real tactile feel about it and those icons are seriously nice!

Who's your host? They're telling you lies. As Ozgression says, your ads are being served by fastclick (if you didn't already know) and they don't allow their advertising to be placed on forums. They also require that you have the ad "above the fold" so the user doesn't need to scroll down in order to see it.

As your site is purely a forum, you should think about making it search engine friendly if possible. You'll get more traffic finding your site from the search engines that way.

I hope it works out for you, just because it looks so cool!

chromate
01-19-2004, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by incka
Did you put the ads there or are they your hosts ads?

Yeah, if they're your hosts ads then you should move hosts. Why let someone else get paid for your work? I would imagine they're your host's ads as FastClick wouldn't have even accepted your site into their network (for the reasons above).

If I were you, I would move hosts (get a deal for about $9 per month or something) and wait until your traffic grows and things get going. Then apply to Burst!Media for your ads.

qest
01-19-2004, 04:42 PM
To answer: yes, I placed the ads myself, but the payment goes to the host. I checked it out the placement with them personally though, so it surprises me to hear this.

As for changing hosts... I made a deal with hostrelief.com in July that gave me their “mini-unix” plan (85$ a year) for free if I had their ads. I did this because, since I'm under 18, I don't really have a way of paying for the site directly if I wanted to. Ideally, I would receive ad payments and then use them to pay for hosting so I kept and extra profit, but I'm not really sure how I would go about that.

This is a new site. My old one was similar looking (but not as nice) and dedicated to the pc game, Morrowind (mw for short) and the use of the included editor (known as modding)... thus the domain name: mwmods.com.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. It makes all those hours seem worthwhile.

chromate
01-19-2004, 05:01 PM
if your site gets popular, your host will be making far more than $85 a year. Like I say, if you have a lot of returning visitors they could easily make more than that in a month alone.

If I were you, I would find some way of sorting your own host out. They're so cheap, it would be worth it. Even if you are under 18, I'm sure there's some way you could do it.

qest
01-19-2004, 05:13 PM
I'll take your advice to heart.

ozgression
01-19-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by qest
As for the banner, it's supposed to be kinda subtle :).

I'm not sure what you mean by the ads. But I confirmed their placement with my host, so I don't think the position is a problem.

I do and I think FastClick will. Confirmed the placement with your host? They don't make Fastclick's TOS. What about confirming it with FastClick ;)

cheers...
________
buy hot box (http://www.vaporshop.com/hotbox-vaporizer.html)

chromate
01-19-2004, 05:19 PM