PDA

View Full Version : Deeper into Stretching images..

Jaffro
01-18-2004, 06:10 PM
Just thinking out loud here...

Here's what im thinking, and im not sure how well it would work with browser resizes. If you had a master image for each of the key XGA and VGA sizes you could then downsize without pixelation. Although you could get distortion - but, could you not write a javascript that would constrain the height and width to be in relationship 1:1 ?

Here's why im thinking it. Am i the only person who browses several sites at a time in windowed browsers of different sizes? What im getting at is just because you detect the screen res of the user doesnt mean the browser is at that res too does it? Also you need to take into consideration extra bar's like the address bar, google toolbar! etc, that all cuts off the actual space thats browsed in.

Is it possible to use javascript or something to detect the browser space size? IE the pixel widthxheight where the webpage is actually displayed, not the screen res or full browser window res.

-----
Chro, a note about your comments in the other stretching image post. Distortion will only properly occur when re-sizing non square images or resizing height and width independitly of eachother. Technically (i know this is pointless but im thinking..) if it was a square image (pixel ratio of 1:1) and you sized it up it would become pixelated, not distorted as that would require the shape to change. Is this right?
-----

chromate
01-19-2004, 04:00 AM
pixelated is a form of distortion, isn't it? Interestingly it's actually an old word for getting really drunk that pre-dates computing all together :)

Jaffro
01-19-2004, 05:12 AM
someones been using dictionary.com :) hehe

Back to my main point tho, could that be done do you think?

chromate
01-19-2004, 05:29 AM
It wasn't dictionary.com. They don't even recognise it :) I read it ages ago in the Times newspaper.

I would imagine it could be done using javascript and dynamic html. Not sure though.