PDA

View Full Version : Getting lots of email greeting card spam

KLB
08-16-2007, 12:12 PM
For about the past week and a half, I've been getting around a dozen pieces of email spam a day pretending to be greeting cards from "a friend", "classmate", etc. I haven't opened any of them, but I'm wondering if others are seeing the same problem? What is up with all this greeting card spam?

Chris
08-16-2007, 12:16 PM
Me too, I know so many people are falling for that too.

In this case though it would seem to be coming from 1 source (new types of spam just starting have got to be unique to one loser), so hopefully the G-men can find him.

mobilebadboy
08-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Yes, it's the latest (Storm) virus making it's rounds.

I've been getting several a day for the last month.

http://news.google.com/news?q=greeting+card+storm

Todd W
08-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Yup.

I also get ~5 attachments a day with my name as the file name and NO text in the e-mail.

KLB
08-16-2007, 05:11 PM
I did a count of messages in my email spam folder and counted 70 of these messages for the past 7 days and this only counts the messages that actually got past my first level of defense at my mail server, which blocks most of the spam I would normally get.

agua
08-16-2007, 07:47 PM
I have been getting these for a while (ages in fact) and just thought it was a greeting card script which had been left to rot and found by spammers... interesting

kramerman
08-17-2007, 05:06 AM
Yes we are all getting the cyber card spam... Bob and Tom radio show also commented on that along with the African/Nigerian million dollar bank account scam...My dating site gets around 3000 spam letter a week...We only read mail that comes through our form set up.....everything else gets deleted....Mike

Cutter
08-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Yeah, same here, for over a month at least. I have a draft blog post about brand damage for those running real greeting card sites.

KLB
08-17-2007, 07:55 PM
I think my mom fell victim to it, and it totally screwed up her system. She called me earlier this week saying her computer was dead. I had her bring it over to me and I discovered it started the boot up sequence but then goes to a blank black screen and does nothing more. The last thing she remembers doing on her computer is opening a message that she had gotten a greeting card and then trying to follow the link. The strange thing is that she runs Firefox so nothing should have been able to execute and install on her system unless she wasn't paying attention to the prompts.

Anyways, I now need her to bring me the install disks so that I can restore the system as it is FUBAR right now. I am not looking forward to fixing her computer.

deronsizemore
08-18-2007, 09:10 AM
Yeah we're seeing a lot of it at work also. Luckily our Barracuda Spam Appliance has caught all but a few.

cooluks
09-08-2007, 01:41 PM
For about the past week and a half, I've been getting around a dozen pieces of email spam a day pretending to be greeting cards from "a friend", "classmate", etc. I haven't opened any of them, but I'm wondering if others are seeing the same problem? What is up with all this greeting card spam?

Me too, I've encoutered once but when I filter those email addresses that send cards... It stop... :yawnb: