PDA

View Full Version : How was your july?

Mike
08-01-2007, 05:31 AM
July seemed to be great for me, much better than past years. Much more traffic, a lot more clicks and obviously better revenue.

How did everyone else fare up?

primetime
08-01-2007, 06:30 AM
August??? I've never known the lag of time can be so great, I mean it's only the first of August today, so let's talk about it in 30 day time.)))

Generalissimo
08-01-2007, 06:52 AM
July is supposed to be worse month in internet advertising - this July I hardly noticed this!

s2kinteg916
08-01-2007, 07:15 AM
Depends on ur niche december is usually my worst months.

ASP-Hosting.ca
08-01-2007, 08:07 AM
I guess he meant July :).

Chris
08-01-2007, 08:29 AM
I actually noticed an uptick at the end of July thanks mostly I think to Sony running heavy advertising on my literature site for their Reader electronic book thing.

Mike
08-01-2007, 08:32 AM
Yeah, I meant July, edited etc :)

Nico
08-01-2007, 10:21 AM
July is supposed to be worse month in internet advertising

What's the reason for that?

MaxS
08-01-2007, 12:10 PM
July was a great month for me.

Generalissimo
08-02-2007, 03:04 AM
Tribal Fusions letter explaining why July is usually slow:

Dear Publisher,

I write to you today with fresh revenue opportunities which fortunately coincide with traditionally the slowest month of the year for online advertising: July. Most sites report a dip in traffic and nearly all advertisers and agencies reduce spending at this time because July represents the start of summer vacation, beginning with a major US holiday. This seasonality increases the effects we frequently see at the beginning of most months and all quarters, when new campaigns lag while our clients generate paperwork for new orders and finalize advertising creative. Note that although you may see slight dips in revenue and fill rate, this is standard for the industry as a whole and will return to normal levels in mid-August.

Please use this opportunity to take advantage of our numerous performance campaigns including Verizon, NetFlix, Reunion.com, and Classmates. To begin this process, we recommend reviewing your current block list to make sure you can't open your site up to additional opportunities. If you would like assistance in maximizing revenue on these campaigns, please contact your account representative and we will work with you to identify campaigns likely to perform well on your site.

Thanks,

The Publisher Services Team

Nico
08-03-2007, 07:47 AM
I see. Thanks Sean.

Nick_s
08-03-2007, 08:07 AM
Mine could have been better. More impressions and more clicks, but revenue stayed around the same.

MissMandy
08-04-2007, 03:31 PM
July was fantastic, August so far is terible.

BGray
08-06-2007, 02:05 PM
July rocked for me. August is starting even better.

MissMandy
08-07-2007, 10:40 AM
my biggest problem is damn adsense smart pricing, im getting less for my clicks each month.

Nick_s
08-07-2007, 02:46 PM
I know what you mean. I don't know what you're niche is but are you running any CPM ads? I've been slowly diversifying my sources so that I'm not as reliant on Adsense, and I'm starting to earn more from CPM ads than Adsense. My next goal is to develop a product.

Chris
08-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Ya, it is so annoying to me that Adsense is like struggling in quicksand. You keep getting lower rates, despite more traffic and better placements.

Compounding the matter is adblockers, more and more and they're blocking adsense ads.

This is one reason I'm giving subscriptions a try real soon now. Out of 1.5-2m unique visitors a month I'd only need a couple thousand subscribers (depending on package).

Todd W
08-07-2007, 07:56 PM
AdSense has been doing that since early 2003 :flare:

MissMandy
08-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Ya, it is so annoying to me that Adsense is like struggling in quicksand. You keep getting lower rates, despite more traffic and better placements.

Compounding the matter is adblockers, more and more and they're blocking adsense ads.

This is one reason I'm giving subscriptions a try real soon now. Out of 1.5-2m unique visitors a month I'd only need a couple thousand subscribers (depending on package).

Chris, please keep us updated here on this. Ive been looking at a subscription site for awhile now, Im firmly of the belief its the way to go. Advertising cpc and cpm just keeps getting worse. Worse is the amount of competition appearning daily in the search results. Also I noticed that only Amazon is starting to work to sell things, others like clickbank, etc cant get a sale anymore and I think its a trust thing there. Surfers are changing habits to sites they know.
Suggestion Chris: do you think it might be a good idea to set up another section on this discussion forum on paid membership?
Its certainly something I want, and it may prove valuable over time to everyone.

Chris
08-08-2007, 07:03 PM
It already exists Mandy, but it isn't purely based on pay. You need 500 posts, or to have written an article for this site. There is a $5 a month fee (waved if you've written an article). Plus existing members then need to vote on your membership.

apthost01
08-08-2007, 07:18 PM
July was our biggest month ever, although my mom died, so it kinda evened out :(

lajocar
08-13-2007, 05:45 AM
July was bad for me

old2
01-06-2008, 03:21 AM
test