PDA

View Full Version : Google vs. Yahoo vs. other search engines

deronsizemore
07-20-2007, 06:53 PM
I was looking at stats from my site and noticed that my traffic coming from search engines is about 99% coming from google.

I've received one visit from yahoo and one from Live. I checked yahoo doing the site:www.example.com to check for all my indexed pages and I noticed that yahoo (didn't check Live) only has indexed my homepage and contact page. What would be the reason for this and how can I fix it? Majority of my traffic comes from referring sites, but I'd still like to get more from searches.

Chris
07-20-2007, 07:21 PM
Well... you'll always get more from Google even with full crawling at the others, Google just is that much more popular.

Yahoo does have a sitemap feature though as well.

http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/

Also... being listed in Yahoo's directory really helps with their search results.

deronsizemore
07-20-2007, 07:56 PM
Well... you'll always get more from Google even with full crawling at the others, Google just is that much more popular.

Yahoo does have a sitemap feature though as well.

http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/

Also... being listed in Yahoo's directory really helps with their search results.

Cool thanks. I need to check into the site maps. I've never done one and really don't know much about them or how to do them.

Thanks for the directory link

lajocar
07-29-2007, 03:43 PM
A sitemap can help with indexing all your web pages

deronsizemore
08-08-2007, 06:03 AM

I went to check into getting listed into Yahoo's directory and it asked for a credit card, yet I couldn't find any info (didn't look real long) about why they need my credit card info?

Nico
08-08-2007, 02:00 PM
In order to enter Yahoo directory you have to pay ($300usd i think). Maybe that's why they are asking for your CC.

You can also submit your site for free, but they don't guarantee it'll be included. That probably means that they will never include it unless you pay.

Kyle
08-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Ya, $300 each year.

agua
08-08-2007, 04:02 PM
I have problems with MSN... at first they listed everyone of my pages - now they don't seem to like any of my sites - no matter where they are hosted.

I don't think they like my designs :(

cooluks
09-08-2007, 11:57 AM
A sitemap can help with indexing all your web pages

I think not only in sitemap but also in the pages structure of the site... :yawnb:

lee_vhoi_ol
11-29-2007, 10:48 AM
I was looking at stats from my site and noticed that my traffic coming from search engines is about 99% coming from google.

I've received one visit from yahoo and one from Live. I checked yahoo doing the site:www.example.com to check for all my indexed pages and I noticed that yahoo (didn't check Live) only has indexed my homepage and contact page. What would be the reason for this and how can I fix it? Majority of my traffic comes from referring sites, but I'd still like to get more from searches.

last time I checked, Google has 70% share of the market. I don't know how large though. Also, Google has many partner search engines. So basically, if you rank well in Google, then most probably you'd rank well in other search engines as well such as Yahoo and MSN, so it's a good idea to SEO on Google.

lee_vhoi_ol
11-29-2007, 10:51 AM
Google don't like My site,the time of visit my web is 10.7 last time.
My site have sitemap,but it do not help me.

Do SEO.

On Page Optimization
Title Tags
Header Tags
Keyword Density (without being spammy)

Off page Optimization
Link Building
Blog Posting with link back (post quality messages, do not spam)
Forum Posts with links on signature
Submit to one way directories

Avoid linking to bad and banned sites. Check if your link partners are still linking to you.

This done, your PR should increase, as well as how often Google updates changes to your site.