PDA

View Full Version : Choosing, Hiring a forum mod?

agua
07-12-2007, 10:24 PM
What's the best way to go about this?

Do you give them incentives / benefits?
Who do you choose?
Should they come from the forum in question, or from an outside source.

I probably have another 20 questions on this... anyone?

Cutter
07-12-2007, 11:35 PM
I usually just ask people who are strong contributors and also appear calm (don't get excited easily or go attacking members.)

If already post a lot, they want to be there.

agua
07-13-2007, 12:20 AM
Do you offer them any benefits - or just PM or email them?

ZigE
07-13-2007, 01:39 AM
Most mods will be happy that they have been placed in a position of importance, they don't really need any incentive. If they are as cutter said, strong contributors, they are happy to be there in the first place.

Chris
07-13-2007, 06:56 AM
I give mine Christmas bonuses, and occassional freebies of site merchandise, thats it. One though has been promoted to a paid position where I pay her a monthly fee for doing content management.

agua
07-13-2007, 08:08 PM
I think I'd have to give them something too - it only seems right :)

Franzibald
10-29-2007, 02:33 PM
It highly depends on what the moderators are doing for you in my opinion. If they are moderating in a work environment that you are making a fair deal of profit from and keeping happy customers due to good moderation then yes paying them may be a good idea
~Franzibald

proweb
11-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Paying a moderator is tricky. Sometimes it may backfire because the amount you are offering may trivialize their time / efforts, ala "Is this what you think all my work is worth!?!?"

I too lean toward bonuses / Christmas gifts / free features (more PM storage space, image hosting, etc.). Shows good will without putting a direct price on what they contribute.

amberstar702
11-20-2007, 04:53 PM
IMO Mods should be chosen from the forum among those that post a lot and show a great deal of sincere interest and knowledge of the topic. Also - as was stated - a Mod should be a reasonable person and not into attacking other members. Financial rewards would be nice on occasion.........

dvduval
12-02-2007, 03:13 PM
I find the best mods are the ones that:
1. Have a genuine interest in having the role and enjoy it
2. Have a good reason to do it, such as they have a side benefit of financial gain as a result of their recognition in the position.

allout
12-05-2007, 08:01 AM
I also think mods should be chosen based on their participation on the forum. I tend to look for people who are on a lot and contribute good answers and good posts.

If it is an active forum and they seem to enjoy being there, most people would be excited by just being asked to be a moderator.

You may want to offer a little bonus here and there based on your earnings. However, I would not set it at any certain time or amount because if earnings are down, they may still expect the bonus.

I would also not overdo your moderators. Do not have 10 if only 2 will be plenty to do the job. Base the amount on how active the forum is.

Good Luck and let us know your experiences as your forum grows.