PDA

View Full Version : What does WSP run?

MaxS
06-28-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm going to be starting a new website and I'm interested in knowing what WSP runs.

On the "Home" page, is that a custom script or is that Wordpress customized to display vBulletin's newest posts?

How are you handling articles? Again, is that a custom script?

Thanks Chris :)

agua
06-28-2007, 05:16 PM
Well - I'm not Chris - but I'm sure Chris has said in the past that the whole CMS is custom with only the forum (VB) and blog (WP) being off the shelf.

Chris
06-28-2007, 07:08 PM
agua is right. I also use it (modified for each site) to run a couple other of my content sites. I've toyed in the past with the idea of making it a commercially available script.

MaxS
06-28-2007, 10:45 PM
You should consider doing so, as it's definitely something I (and I imagine others) would consider.

Chris
06-29-2007, 05:48 AM
The problem is it isn't really commercially viable at this point, its my own personal code, there are probably security problems with it, and certainly it'd need to be cleaned up and the admin area fleshed out.

deronsizemore
06-29-2007, 06:02 AM
I'm going to be starting a new website and I'm interested in knowing what WSP runs.

On the "Home" page, is that a custom script or is that Wordpress customized to display vBulletin's newest posts?

How are you handling articles? Again, is that a custom script?

Thanks Chris :)

I've said it before (and here it comes again), but if you're looking for a set up like what Chris has, ExpressionEngine (http://www.expressionengine.com)can do it. They have their own forum software (which is great by the way) and it seamlessly integrates with their publishing software so you can show new forum topics on any page of your site.

MaxS
06-29-2007, 01:24 PM
I've looked into ExpressionEngine but there's no vBulletin bridge available. I'm pretty set on using vBulletin.

I'm pretty happy with Wordpress, to be honest. I'm going to have to mess with the code a bit to get it to do what I want, but I still think it's the best option (aside from custom).

MaxS
06-30-2007, 05:00 PM
Chris, are you using vBulletin's external.php to display the latest threads? If so, is the index page a wordpress page? I can't seem to include the template the external.php?type=js data and include it on a wordpress page.

I may just outsource this job. It's giving me a headache.

Erin
06-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Chris, are you using vBulletin's external.php to display the latest threads? If so, is the index page a wordpress page? I can't seem to include the template the external.php?type=js data and include it on a wordpress page.

I may just outsource this job. It's giving me a headache.Yeah, I've tried to do some similar stuff. It seems to work if the domain is the same, but if the domain is different, no.

If you get any good leads, let me know. I'll do the same.

Chris
07-01-2007, 07:24 AM
No, its just a little hack that pulls directly from the vb database.

The only wordpress pages on the site are under /blog/

Anyways, attached are the 2 files that do it. It was a vb2 hack I had to edit a little bit to get to work in vb3. But it works, just fill in the paths/colors in last10config, and edit the exclude or include forumid lists.

MaxS
07-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Thanks a lot Chris, that's really helpful. Now if only I could get my head around Wordpress.

If I do, I'll post back with some code.