PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the US having .gov is unfair?

incka
01-11-2004, 06:04 AM
Do you think the US having .gov is unfair?

Should they have .gov.us instead?

Chris
01-11-2004, 08:14 AM
Creator's perogative.

incka
01-11-2004, 08:42 AM
Despite the fact that dictionary.com tells me you spelt that wrong, why should ICANN give the US .com. The inventor of the world wide web as we know it today came from a British University.

I think they should be forced to change it to .gov.us, and .edu should be .edu.us, and .mil should be .mil.us and if they have any others do the same...

MarkB
01-11-2004, 09:32 AM
Domain names did not appear when the Web appeared - they've been in use since the 70s (.gov, .edu etc).

incka
01-11-2004, 10:11 AM
Still, I think they should be forced to change it. Them having .gov, etc. might make other countries angry at them.

Chris
01-11-2004, 10:28 AM
ARPAnet, the forerunner of the Internet, was created by the US Dept. of Defense.

In anycase the idea for the WWW might have come from Tim Berners Lee but the US government (including publicly funded universities) basically created the Internet and the Web. ICANN exists at the behest of the US government. (http://www.icann.org/general/background.htm) The DNS system was originally created and controlled by the US government and was given to ICANN.

Changing things now wouldn't make any sense, there are far more weightier issues that countries can be mad at the US about than this, and changing things would not make any of the countries mad at us any less mad.

Peter T Davis
04-17-2004, 10:10 PM
What purpose would be served by making this change anyway?