PDA

View Full Version : Dun & Bradstreet Number?

Erin
06-15-2007, 01:01 PM
A DnB guy called me and asked me if I wanted to verify my business. There are several packages available, the cheapest of which is about $300, IIRC.

He said it could help build credit for the company, etc.

Does that sound legit? Or is it something that doesn't matter so much if you don't do business with the gummint?

KLB
06-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Dun & Bradstreet Numbers are legit. I don't know if the guy selling it to you or not is legit.

Erin
06-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I know the DUNS numbers are legit, and I'll do my due diligence in making sure that this guy is legit.

But to hear the guy tell it, he says every serious business has a validated DUNS number, which is what he says D&B charges $300 for.

Chris
06-15-2007, 02:02 PM
Its marketing BS.

Its like paying to be listed in a "Who's Who" directory.

They'll still record credit information about your business if submitted to them, you don't need to pay them a dime. They're just trying to upsell you.

Its really no different than when you get a call from say Experian asking you to sign up for some identity theft prevention credit monitoring service. It doesn't mean Experian won't track your credit if you say no.

KLB
06-15-2007, 03:37 PM
Before the Internet DUNS were important way of promoting one's business to other businesses. For instance, ten years ago when I worked at a trucking company they kept a whole bookshelf full of current Duns books that were frequently referenced. Now, however, I'm sure they just use Google.