PDA

View Full Version : Got to play with Windows Vista today

KLB
06-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Today I got my first chance to play around with Windows/Office Vista. My initial rating is a great big thumbs down. I was helping a client get two new Windows Vista machines working on their network and running a mission critical Access database. Hooking up to the network and all that stuff went smoothly. What I hated is the new menuing system. I couldn't find anything I wanted in Access (which I have been developing in for over ten years). The menus are convoluted and cluttered.

What was once simple tasks are now buried in obscurity. Whom ever designed the new menuing system needs to be taken out back and shot. The old system worked reasonably well and had a clean layout. I do not understand what the folks in Redman were smoking when they developed the new menuing ideas but they suck. Unfortunatly there is no way to switch back over to traditional menus, which would have been nice to do.

My client has about a dozen computers, and all abut the newest two run Windows XP with either Office 2000 or Office 2003. Now he has two machines that are Windows Visita and his staff is going to be lost when they work on the new machines as none of his employees are more than basic users. Not being able to switch to a common menuing interface between different versions of Windows/Office is going to play havoc with productivity.

Emancipator
06-07-2007, 12:12 PM
as somebody who owns windows vista I wish to god i still had xp.. a complete nightmare.

Todd W
06-07-2007, 12:32 PM
Exactly. I wouldn't touch VISTA for at least 2 years :eek:

Generalissimo
06-07-2007, 01:19 PM
There is a project to bring longhorn back. I think it's longhorn-reloaded.org

KLB
06-07-2007, 02:43 PM
I think the same engineers that thought up Clippy must have thought up the menuing system used in MS Access. I haven't used the other Vista versions of MS Office, but MS Access' menuing system blows chunks in a really bad way. I'm none to fond of the Start menu either, but at least with that one can go back to "classic".

Emancipator
06-07-2007, 02:44 PM
i just wish vista didnt have the memory issues it does.. rebooting sucks ***

Generalissimo
06-07-2007, 03:00 PM
I think the new start menu is one of the few things (apart from new My Pictures) that I like about Vista. Going through networking control panels is a real pain because they've changed how they all work and setting up a ad hoc internet connection between laptops is virtually impossible...

MaxS
06-09-2007, 01:05 PM
I've messed around with Vista; I can't say I like it. This is one of the reasons I'm going to switch to a Mac in the near future.

BGray
06-10-2007, 04:21 AM
I regret getting a new desktop with it. I have 4 gb of memory and it is still slow. I have to reboot once or twice a day.

I miss XP for sure. I'm just hoping the first service pack is a good one.

Mal
06-11-2007, 12:58 PM
I used Vista as an excuse to switch to Ubuntu. ;) I had a feeling Vista would be a waste of cash and hardware resources, so the year leading up to the launch, I decided to switch everything to open source stuff and then force myself to use Ubuntu as the final step.

apthost01
06-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Well everybody is going to have to switch to it eventually since programs are generally made for windows.

KLB
06-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Well today I had my second run in with Vista. A friend of my wife brought her computer over to have try and help her get Yahoo Messenger to run on Vista. It would install okay, but could not log in. I could not figure out what the problem was. I tried all the usual suspects (firewall, internet settings, etc.), but eventually gave up and told her to take the computer to Geek Squad. :sick:

For grins I show my wife the new Office Vista and asked her to find how to print something in Excel. We found the print area, but didn't find print.

The call of the Mac is getting louder.

organ
06-11-2007, 06:05 PM
the problem not only Yahoo Messenger but also many similar software run on Vista.
It seen that Vista only accept microsoft's software.
Vista is a new monopolization of microsoft.

KLB
06-11-2007, 08:16 PM
We couldn't get the new Windows Live Messenger to work either.

Xander
06-13-2007, 05:03 AM
I think many people/companies will wait for the inevitable service pack 1 (or 2 for me as with XP) before using/switching over, however there seems to be more teething problems with Vista than XP had.