PDA

View Full Version : Need unmetered dedicated with very good support

Generalissimo
05-29-2007, 01:57 PM
As above. 100mbps line to server. Good ram, processor, etc. Linux. Apache. CPanel/WHM.

I'm currently with the planet. Problem: They require you to have a rack to do unmetered.

MaxS
05-29-2007, 02:51 PM
I believe Softlayer offers 100mbps lines.

I'm with Softlayer, no complaints whatsoever.

Generalissimo
05-30-2007, 02:21 AM
Nevermind - The Planet has a new offer on new servers which is unmetered bandwidth :)

Chris
06-01-2007, 12:32 PM
seen this?

http://www.theplanet.com/unmetered-bandwidth/?utm_campaign=ENCPFBWA053007

Emancipator
06-03-2007, 06:18 PM
i would love to get an un-metered box but the cost scares the **** out of me. I had to disable alot of features on my site because I couldnt afford the bandwith. Chris do you use The Planet?

Max do you mind sharing your server specs and BALLPARK price?

MaxS
06-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Max do you mind sharing your server specs and BALLPARK price?
I'm not on an unmetered box. I don't need all that bandwidth :).

I'm going to be moving to one of these (http://www.softlayer.com/servers_dpmc.html) within the next week or two.

Generalissimo
06-04-2007, 01:39 AM
I'm going to go with that Planet offer, I'm currently with them and they have quick good support.

I've had to do the same. I even put the game files from my site on a godaddy hosting account to save bandwidth on my server - and that makes them much slower loading.

Emancipator
06-04-2007, 05:19 AM
Max thanks for the reply. I only wish my bandwith was under control.

Chris
06-04-2007, 07:26 AM
Ya I use the planet (formerly rackshack, formerly ev1), not unmetered though, the normal bandwidth is fine for my sites since I don't offer any big media type files.

Emancipator
06-05-2007, 08:11 AM
my host has told me they will make me a good offer for un-metered. I have referred alot of folks here to them, and they are hands down the best host I have ever had, so i really dont want to leave them.

I had to disable alot of features on my servers to keep BW under wraps. Hopefully I can re-enable them!

Emancipator
06-05-2007, 11:06 AM
so i talked to my host Nexcess and they have matched The Planet deal for me. This deal is available to anyone, and I know some of you have switched to nexcess based on my recommendation and are very happy. Westech being one person. Here is what they offered me ( they gave me permission to post this ). If you go to nexcess.net and request a quote, this quote came from the owner CHRIS. He will set you up with a similar deal. Notice I have not injected any affliliate link! I am reccomending this the same reason I did for Westech, they are the best host i have ever used.

Dell PE1425 Dual 2.8Ghz XEON
2GB RAM
2 x 300 GB SATA (RAID 1 or RAID 0)
10mbps un-metered
Per Month: 259.00
FREE Setup

Management Includes:
- Monitoring of all critical services (3 minute interval)
- All pertinent system software upgrades & security updates
- Off-server backup of all client data
- Pro-active maintenance
- Server optimization for given application

Todd W
06-05-2007, 11:37 AM
10mbps per-month is not to much in terms of GB per-month. Do the math, and remember you don't get 100% of that. Also remember all bandwidth is NOT created equal.

Not to mention that server is OLD OLD OLD and by todays standard very hot and slow. I went from the 2.8ghz Dual Xeon w/scsi drives to the new woodcrest 5160 dual proc. dual core w/2gb ram and scsi drives and it's probably 25x or more faster.

Mike
06-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Just to say that I moved to Nexcess on Emancipator's reccomendation, and they've been first class. Their support is superb.

If you need cpanel though, you may have a problem Sean...

Westech
06-05-2007, 02:18 PM
I can vouch for Nexcess too. Their support is amazing. When they say "fully managed" they really mean it. We've grown with them from a single server to 5 servers pushing an average of 150 mbps all day every day. They've managed all of our growth and upgrades with no problems at all. I think I can count the minutes of downtime in the last year on one hand, and that includes while they were migrating all of our live database driven sites to upgraded servers without me having to lift a finger.

Emancipator
06-05-2007, 04:34 PM
westech summed it up really well. I forgot you had switched to Mike. Good to see you both are still happy with nexcess... its the only company i have ever reccomended.

Mike
06-06-2007, 02:24 AM
What do you two think to SiteWorx? It does the job for me, but what are your views?

My issue is that cpanel and siteworx are both blocked on my university campus, but as cpanel is well known, there are scripts to get around this.

Emancipator
06-06-2007, 06:41 AM
i like siteworx. Only thing that I find tough is setting up cron jobs because i keep screwing up the format for it. I think its as good as Cpanel from a use-ability stand point.

I think the big advantage is that their tech people are on MSN almost 24/7 and you can always get somebody to give you 1 on 1 help and they dont charge you for it

Westech
06-06-2007, 06:47 AM
I like Siteworx. It does everything I need and is rock solid. Plus, it has great clustering support so that it seems like I'm dealing with one single server while I'm uploading files, adding domains, etc. even though our setup is actually a multi-server cluster.

Why does your university block cpanel and siteworx? If they're just blocked by the default ports they use you might be able to get your host to set up access on an alternate port for you.

Emancipator
06-06-2007, 10:16 AM
yeah i think siteworx is better then cpanel but i still think the big selling feature is if you get stuck one of their guys on MSN or phone or WHATEVER Wil typically just say "here let me do it for you" "hows that" "What more can I do"

Seriously I have never seen a company bend over so far backwards to keep you happy.

Erin
06-06-2007, 12:23 PM
I've had an ongoing problem that I can't fix, and theplanet hasn't been able to help me, either. Since they merged with ev1, I think the support has gone downhill. I've been told that I should move to a new server, so I'm thinking I'll give softlayer a try.

I'll look into Nexcess, too.

Mike
06-06-2007, 12:48 PM
I asked about a new port but they said there wasn't anything they could do. As for MSN, I didn't even know they had that support. I've always used the support desk which has brilliant response times.

Erin
06-06-2007, 01:22 PM
I don't see any dedicated boxes listed here:

http://www.nexcess.net/

it says they're planning on rolling out this service in the future. Is this the right company?

Westech
06-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Yes, that's the right company. I think you need to contact them directly for a quote: sales@nexcess.net

Todd W
06-06-2007, 04:07 PM
I've had an ongoing problem that I can't fix, and theplanet hasn't been able to help me, either. Since they merged with ev1, I think the support has gone downhill. I've been told that I should move to a new server, so I'm thinking I'll give softlayer a try.

I'll look into Nexcess, too.]

The planet started going down hill well before the EV1 merge/buyout thing.

SoftLayer backend and support is WAY WAY better than anything the planet offers or in that matter EVER offered.

I had a personal host with NExcess and they were fine.

andyf
08-13-2007, 05:30 AM
I don't see any dedicated boxes listed here:

http://www.nexcess.net/

it says they're planning on rolling out this service in the future. Is this the right company?

Mod if you think i am spamming this thread you can delete this post :

Even i can provide you dedicated server please have a look at our plans at webhosting.uk.com/dedicated.php. We provide you 24*7 free technical support with excellent hardware and 99.95% server uptime.

Configuration of dedicated server :
Processor 3 Ghz Dual Core Pentium D, 1GB RAM,80GB SATA 7200rpm, 2500GB bandwidth, 100 Mbps Dedicated Network connection, Plesk or cPanel, Dell PowerEdge

Rate : 74GBP/Month

You can contact/PM me for more details