PDA

View Full Version : How do you appraise a domain?

MaxS
05-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Hi guys,

I'm currently researching for a new project of mine. It's going to require a fairly large investment.

The domain I'm looking at, through SEDO, is perfect for the website. It's a dictionary .com -- brandable and all. It's not trademarked, so I assume I will have no problems trademarking it.

Until now, I've never really put much thought into domain names. As far as I'm concerned, the domain industry is completely separate for web publishing -- in turn, I don't know much about it.

The way I see it, the domain will only increase in value. I'm a young guy, so I can wait xx years and then reap the benefits.

Does anyone here have premium domain experience? Are there any appraisal services that are worthwhile?

Thanks

Chris
05-14-2007, 01:18 PM
Well... if you had 500 posts or had written an article for this site you could post the domain in the publisher's club and get everyone private opinion on it...

But since you can't, if you want you can PM me the domain and I'll give you my opinion.

MaxS
05-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Cheers Chris, I will do so. I'm definitely looking forward to the publisher's club. The number of posts required isn't too steep, but the fact that there isn't much activity outside of the "club", makes it tough.

agua
05-14-2007, 06:31 PM
I've been looking at domains over the last few weeks and bought 5 LLLL.com's the other day for $11 each... I'm not really sure how I'm going to use them - but thought I should jump on the domain bandwagon as I'm sure they must be worth more later:)

could be wrong, but hey - its a small investment which could always be used to make money by promoting them in some way

rpanella
05-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Since you are planning on developing the name, it is likely worth more to you than it is to the owner if he is currently just parking it.

Since you are planning on developing it and not just parking it for PPC revenue, the value that others will appraise it at won't really apply. More importantly is the value that it will add to your project long term by having a premium domain. Depending on the size and potential of the project, as well as your personal budget, it may definitely be worth it.
________
Sell Vaporizers (http://vaporizeraffiliateprogram.com)

MaxS
05-16-2007, 03:35 PM
rpanelle: Yea, that seems to be the case. Chris doesn't believe it's worth the asking price.

I somewhat believe the premium domain will add to my project. I'm a firm believe in "go big or don't go at all."

But then again, I could create my own name, which will save me thousands -- money that could be put towards development and advertising.

rpanella
05-16-2007, 06:14 PM
Very true, if you think you could accomplish the same thing with another domain, its probably worth it to spend the money on development and marketing.

It really has a lot to do with the type and goals of your site. If you plan for mostly search engine traffic or direct link referrals, a premium domain isn't as necessary, whereas if you plan to really brand it and get a lot of word of mouth and repeat users, it would be a lot easier with a premium name.

Feel free to PM me the name if you would like my opinion on it.
________
CHEAP CROSMAN STINGER SHOTGUN CARTRIDGE SHELLS (http://airsoft-shop.info/p/crosman-stinger-shotgun-cartridge-shells/)

Chris
05-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Well, I didn't say it wasn't worth it exactly. If you have the money a premium domain is worth it, especially if you think you have long run potential. But this particular name might be overpriced, if still worth it to the right buyer.

MaxS
05-28-2007, 04:15 PM
I've decided not to go for it. At this point, my money would be better spent on other projects, especially when the domain isn't quite worth the investment.

It would work perfectly for a website I currently run, but since I can't switch to a new domain without penalty, it's not worth it.

Thanks for the help, though.