PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Needs Help

kitkat
05-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Hi. I'm in the process of learning MS Publisher 2003 and Dreamweaver MX. Dreamweaver confuses me, but seems better than Publisher. I'm more familiar with Publisher though and it seems easier when making a basic website. Here's my question: Is there a way to make the pages align in the center when using Publisher? When I go to "Web Page Preview" the page is left justified and I hate that. I prefer the look of sites created using Dreamweaver (where it looks like a page sitting centered on a background). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

deronsizemore
05-12-2007, 10:53 AM
Hi - Welcome to the site!

As far as using Publisher, I would scrap it. Publisher might seem easy to a new web design, but in it's easiness it will create problems later when you get more experienced with writing code. Dreamweaver is the same way, although it can be good when using code view. Most people though when using Dreamweaver don't use it for the code view, but for the design view, and when in design view it's kinda similar to using FrontPage (although not near as bad). I used to use Dreamweaver MX when I first started out and all I found out was that it caused more problems than it's worth in that I never could get my sites to look right across different browsers. I think you'll find (like most) that the more experience you get, the more you prefer to hand code everything in an editor such as EditPlus (http://www.editplus.com) or similar.

Chris
05-12-2007, 11:53 AM
here would be the basic code. For the CSS mavens out there... I know....

<body background = "imageurl.gif"> or <body bgcolor = "red">
<div align = "center">
blah
blah blah
page content here
</div>
</body>

Johnny Gulag
05-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Hello

If you are into the .css way of doing it, it could be done like so:
<body style="background: red url(imageurl.gif") top left no-repeat;">
<div style="width: 750px; margin: 0 auto;">
blah
blah blah
page content here
</div>
</body>

Though you would really want to avoid using inline styles as I have above and move them to an external stylesheet. :)

Also, I agree with Deron. There is nothing wrong with DW (once you know what is going on) I personally do not use it, as it just seems like way too much for editing some html/css.

I am sure it offers great features and someone that is familiar with these features can speed up their work flow alot. :)

The best bet is to learn what HTML is and does and then code it by hand. :)

Just my 2 cents. :)

here would be the basic code. For the CSS mavens out there... I know....

<body background = "imageurl.gif"> or <body bgcolor = "red">
<div align = "center">
blah
blah blah
page content here
</div>
</body>

deronsizemore
05-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Sorry I got wrapped up in what I was writing about Publisher and DW and didn't give you the code you requested. Ben did give you the code however! :)

kitkat
05-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Thanks for all your help Deron, Chris and Johnny. I thought this would be a simple process, but after reading your replies and talking with some people I know, I realize that I have an awful lot to learn. I'll probably get back to you in about five years when I figure out what I'm doing.

deronsizemore
05-15-2007, 10:27 AM
Thanks for all your help Deron, Chris and Johnny. I thought this would be a simple process, but after reading your replies and talking with some people I know, I realize that I have an awful lot to learn. I'll probably get back to you in about five years when I figure out what I'm doing.

Just take it one step at a time. With designing and coding for the web, you can't run before you can walk. I was in the same boat as you a couple years ago, and although I'm still not an expert, I'm light years beyond where I started. It will take time and hard work no doubt. With this type of stuff you never really stop learning or totally "figure it out" either. The web changes every second.

A good place to start with HTML and CSS is www.w3schools.com. That will give you a very basic overview.

shyampc
06-13-2007, 05:44 AM
I suggest you to use Dreamweaver MX. If you have any trouble, just use the help feature. I have found that it is the easiest software to use for designing. I learned the basics from their help menu - and through try and error proces. It is very easy to use if you just learn the tools within it.