PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate content alongside original content

Westech
05-09-2007, 01:46 PM
We have an established site with original content and lots of great search engine rankings for the various pages. We'd like to add on a new section to this site that will have pages generated from a datafeed that's used by a lot of other sites. The result will be that our original pages will all still be there and we'll continue to add new original content, but a lot of new "duplicate content" pages generated from the datafeed will be added to the site.

We're not using AWS, but I guess the best analogy for what we're doing would be tacking on an AWS store section to an existing well-ranked content site.

Will having pages of duplicate content on the same site hurt the rankings of the pages with original content?

stymiee
05-09-2007, 02:17 PM
The pages with duplicate content will go supplemental but that shouldn't affect the pages with original content as each page is judged on its own merit.

Chris
05-09-2007, 02:20 PM
No no no, don't do it. I've had multiple sites banned for this very issue. A few I was later able to get unbanned via reinclusion requests, a few still are banned to this day (since summer of 2004).

What you could do, is put the duplicate content on a separate domain, and link to that domain. I would never put it on the same domain as a better site though. I believe Kyle also lost rankings because of doing that.

stymiee
05-09-2007, 03:17 PM
So the whole site was penalized?

Chris
05-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Oh ya, completely delisted.

stymiee
05-09-2007, 08:41 PM
How much of the content was duplicate because of the feeds?

Generalissimo
05-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Chris - your wilderness and literature sites have a lot of 'duplicate content' in some way or another. Does google penalise your sites for this, or does it ignore it because it's presenting in a different way, the library of duplicate content is different to other sites and isn't about sales?

Chris
05-10-2007, 05:10 AM
I've never been penalized that I've noticed.

What I'm talking about is adding AWS content to a site. My survival site actually had it for awhile too, and I quickly removed it.

Google really came down hard on AWS sites in the summer of 2004, and 3 of my domains with AWS info on them got completely delisted. 2 I eventually got reincluded, 1 is still delisted.

Westech
05-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Wow! I'm glad I asked about it first! Thanks.

What you could do, is put the duplicate content on a separate domain, and link to that domain. I would never put it on the same domain as a better site though. I believe Kyle also lost rankings because of doing that.

I had considered this and will probably just go this route.